Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Honestants and Swindlecants X.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

#21 snotty87

snotty87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 06:32 AM

Simple answer: The guy, if a swindlecant would say: I am a girl and I am poor
The guy, if a honestant would say : I am a guy and I am rich

#22 CucoNY

CucoNY

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 05:33 PM

I still think my answer was simplest and correct.

#23 qlvr

qlvr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:58 AM

It is entirely valid for a rich swindlecant to make the statement, "I am a poor swindlecant" = "I am poor and I am a swindlecant." The sentence is evaluated in its entirety, as either true or false. The statement is in the form "A and B". Since A is not true, ie false, A and B together cannot be true, so "A and B" is false.

i like ur thinking!!!!!!

from~
qlvr!!!

#24 Helena

Helena

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 10:00 PM

How many logicians does it take to spell "convince"?

#25 bluegene

bluegene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 08:55 PM

How about?
* The rich swindlecant brings a poor honestant with him and tells the girl "ask him about himself and me". since a honestant cannot lie he will say the truth.

#26 Whinestein

Whinestein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:37 PM

He's trying to woo her so it's got to be romantic as well (last time I checked). He's not trying to get her to apply logic to his answers and perhaps rethink her strange decision!
How about this:
"Everyone on this island would say that I am entirely in love with you and that I am a rich swindlecat.
Those who are opposite of me would say I am a poor honestant but they always lie.
I cannot lie about how I feel about you; I wouldn't be lying to say you are the sun, moon, and stars to me."

#27 Whinestein

Whinestein

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:40 PM

Last sentence is questionable; meant to say, "I couldn't lie and not tell you that you are anything but the sun, moon, stars to me...and that it's your mind I find most pleasing." (just added that last part because I'm a smartass)

#28 matt.lang

matt.lang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 12:18 AM

i don't think this could really be solved definitively. if i were say, the rich swindlecant, and I said, "I am a poor Swindlecant." Then I'm not completely lying, sincce they are still saying they are a swindlecant which is truthful. The only way for this to be true is if the term "poor swindlecant" and "rich swindlecant" are seen as completely different from one another.

#29 hindsight

hindsight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:43 AM

All the Swindlecant has to say is; I am a poor honestant. The only answer the Honestant could say is; I am a rich honestant. if he actually is and if not there is nothing a poor honestant could say to win her over because she wants a rich honestant.

#30 neovins

neovins

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

swindlecant : sun rises in the west and i am the poorest guy
honestant : sun rises in the east and i am a rich guy

what about this ?? just instead saying something plain, apply correlation to the statements

i like the other answer..

swindlecant : i am a girl and i am poor
honestant : i am a guy and i am rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users