Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Logic Problems at the Court I.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
24 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

Logic Problems at the Court I. - Back to the Logic Problems
And now a few cases from the island of honestants and swindlecants. A prisoner at the bar was allowed to say one sentence to defend himself. After a while he said: "A swindlecant committed the crime." Did it rescue him?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 pack_fanny

pack_fanny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:05 PM

Ok. but you dont know if the man is swindlican or if he is a honest whatever. i dont like this one. it is too hard to determine. you can also say that he isnt safe because they would have to go into investigation. That could still prove him to be guilty.

#3 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 11:16 PM

I should have mentioned conditions for this riddle - they are in the first riddle of this section called "Logic Problems". So here they are:
Swindlecants - all sentences they say (as a whole) are false
Honestants - all sentences they say (as a whole) are true

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#4 larryhl

larryhl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 10:00 PM

Ok. but you dont know if the man is swindlican or if he is a honest whatever. i dont like this one. it is too hard to determine. you can also say that he isnt safe because they would have to go into investigation. That could still prove him to be guilty.

there's no need for an investigation because it doesn't matter if he is an honestant or swindlecant, he didn't commit the crime. if he was an honestant, he always needs to speak the truth, thus a swindlecant committed the crime (the prisoner is innocent.) if he was a swindlecant, he always lies, thus an honestant really committed the crime (the prisoner is still innocent.)

#5 imtcb

imtcb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:16 PM

Actually, that statement indicates the defendant knows the guilty party. If this were the case he could make a statement regarding a known truth (the sky being blue) and identify himself as Honestant or Swindlecant, and the guilty person. i.e. - "The sky is striped yellow and orange, and Joe Swindlecant didn't do it!" or "The sky is blue right now, and Joe Swindlecant is the guilty one!"

He should have said "If I am a Swindlecant I did it!". This would not only exhonorate him, but also not indicate he knew who the real guilty party was. (If he is a Swindlecant, then he can't have done it or else the statement would be true, and if he is an Honestant he couldn't have done it or the statement would be false.)

#6 colorclown26

colorclown26

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:34 PM

This one is pretty easy for a Swindlecants and Honestants puzzle. Look at some other ones for a bigger challenge.

#7 anna_fran

anna_fran

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

A swindlecant can't say, 'I'm a Swindlecant', because they always have to lie. He could however say, 'I'm an Honestant' or 'I'm not a Swindlecant'.

Anna

#8 dVs

dVs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 04:18 PM

Actually, that statement indicates the defendant knows the guilty party. If this were the case he could make a statement regarding a known truth (the sky being blue) and identify himself as Honestant or Swindlecant, and the guilty person. i.e. - "The sky is striped yellow and orange, and Joe Swindlecant didn't do it!" or "The sky is blue right now, and Joe Swindlecant is the guilty one!"

He should have said "If I am a Swindlecant I did it!". This would not only exhonorate him, but also not indicate he knew who the real guilty party was. (If he is a Swindlecant, then he can't have done it or else the statement would be true, and if he is an Honestant he couldn't have done it or the statement would be false.)

no, this statement would not in fact exonerate him... if he is a swindlecant, then he did not do it... but if he is an honestant, then the statement is meaningless to his case. this statement is if/then... not if-and-only-if. therefore, this statement does not nullify the possibility that an honestant could have done it. he would be no worse off saying "i did it."

he could have, however, said "if i am a swindlecant i did it, but otherwise i did not," or perhaps "i did this if and only if i am a swindlecant." for a swindlecant this would translate to "i didn't do this if and only if i'm a swindlecant," and for an ever-honest honestant, it would simply mean he hadn't done it.

#9 imtcb

imtcb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 07:36 PM

no, this statement would not in fact exonerate him... if he is a swindlecant, then he did not do it... but if he is an honestant, then the statement is meaningless to his case. this statement is if/then... not if-and-only-if. therefore, this statement does not nullify the possibility that an honestant could have done it. he would be no worse off saying "i did it."

he could have, however, said "if i am a swindlecant i did it, but otherwise i did not," or perhaps "i did this if and only if i am a swindlecant." for a swindlecant this would translate to "i didn't do this if and only if i'm a swindlecant," and for an ever-honest honestant, it would simply mean he hadn't done it.

You are right, I should have said "ONLY if I am a swindlecant did I do it.". But, my point remains that the original answer is flawed. He would have gotten off for the murder, but would have been convicted of conspiracy for hiding the true facts of the case.

#10 leo78

leo78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 06:54 PM

If he is a swindlecant, doesn't the sentence "A swindlecant committed the crime." Mean "A Honestant did not committed the crime"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users