BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

hello one and all!

The Setting:

O.K., the year is...well 2009, and there is an old fashioned dinner party (like the one in the movie Clue based on the game) where nothing "new age" is allowed into the party at Thatcher Manor. There are 6 guests at the party with 3 servants (including the cook) and a host by the name of Thadeus. the names of the people at the party are as follows:

The Residence:

Thadeus - the host of the party with a taste for 20's themed parties

Sofie - the rather beautifle maid-servant to the head of the houshold of the manor

Jeeves - the butler for the manor, think's his name is a bit cliche for his occupation

The Guests:

Detective Spencer - the greatly known detective of English decent with the abilty to solve any case, though for this one he might need the aid of you, yes YOU.

Fredward Desmund - the novelist whose books end up killing their occupants (the characters) and leaves the reader to figure out the murderer, like in Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None

Claire Savanah - the former heiress to a multi-million $ company that supports the causes (i.e. charity events) of the Thatcher Manor and has now inherited the company and was always rather supercilious.

Naomi Spencer - the lucky winner in a contest irrelevant to what must be solved. She is shy at a 5'8" (english system) but is rather talkative if the occasion hits her.

Augustice "Gus" Maylor - the representative of the PTP organization (preserve the past). he is usually quite polite until someone derides him about his love for antiques and or when someone belittles a priceless artifact. he is there on account that he recieved an invite and that the house is filled with priceless artifacts from the early century and beyond that.

The Plot:

Dinner has been served. Thadeus and the guests have retired to the lounge when the doorbell is heard. Of coarse, Jeeves, the butler, answers the door. Immediately after the door is opened, a man staggers in the foyer and dies on the floor in the middle of the room. It is up to you, yes YOU, and the detective to solve 3 things:

1) Who killed the man

2) Why they killed him

and 3) Who is the man?

The Rules:

Throughout the investigation you, the helpers of Detect. Spencer, will be able to question the guests as the night goes on (it is night until the mystery is solved or the last hint is given). You will also be able to ask yes or no questions that relate to the context of hints or the infromation at the beginning of the topic. One last thing, you cannot just guess at the answers to the questions, you have to provide some logic to your answer. Now solve this case!

NEWS FLASH (coughs on dust and clears away cobwebs): Gus is feels like exploring the estate to look at the valubles and whatnot. 20 min later, he's found seemingly dead near the trophy room...what' going on here?

Were was the cook?

Cook?

So now we have two dead bodies? Is it the same killer? and is everyone accounted for?

If the fuse box is outside the window, the person was not peaking in, he/she was playing with the fuse box?

Thadeus: Do you know of anyone who wanted mr Thatcher dead? and is there anyone who was against the PTP organization? How well do you really know the background of the employees?

So now we have two dead bodies? Is it the same killer? and is everyone accounted for?

If the fuse box is outside the window, the person was not peaking in, he/she was playing with the fuse box?

Thadeus: Do you know of anyone who wanted mr Thatcher dead? and is there anyone who was against the PTP organization? How well do you really know the background of the employees?

well sort of...nobody checked Gus for any signs of vitality so... that sort of answers the 2nd question and the cook is already been said to be missing. i can't answer the other 2 without giving away something that would make it too easy.

Thadues: Well certainly, we checked the background of all our employees even thought there are just 3, two of which are present at the moment :dry:. As for your first two questions, i can't think of anyone who would want Thatcher dead considering his disposition and i don't think that there is anyone who is against the PTP organization.

*Naomi seems fidgety after Thadeus gives statement*

Was anyone at the party pretending to be someone their not?

Was the cook making something with glaze such as donuts?

To the maid: " Have you had any recent involvment with the PTP? (i think that's the name) OR, did you notice anythign strange or any hostility when the party was being planned?

To detective: was the cause of death for Gus ever determined? If yes, what was it?

To Mr. Desmond: what was your latest book about and how do you come up with your ideas, and how much research do you put into them.

Has anyone checked the kitchen for clues on where the cook might be, maybe something helpful was left.

To detective: was the cause of death for Gus ever determined? If yes, what was it?

To Mr. Desmond: what was your latest book about and how do you come up with your ideas, and how much research do you put into them.

Has anyone checked the kitchen for clues on where the cook might be, maybe something helpful was left.

detective: did you determine what kind of footwear made the prints outside the house?

were there any clues anywhere around Gus body? footprints?

It's difficult to join halfway, but I'll give it a shot. Looks fun.

To No1slight: Is it still the evening Thatcher was murdered? (Was just glancing over previous posts, so I'm sorry if I missed anything). Also,

A few things, that I guess have to be observed/investigated in person:

1.) Where was Jeeves standing when he heard the "faint knock" on the door?

2.) The fuse box was outside? Was it in the rain? Are there anything suspicious around, like overhead beams, burn marks around the fuse box, etc.

3.) Was anything missing after the black out? (can also be answered by Jeeves, question 2.

4.) Is Gus really dead - or fainted? If so, how did Gus die?

5.) Inspect the trophy room.

Questions:

Everyone:

1. Do you know Mr Thatcher? If so, how did you know each other. Tell me about him.
  2. Does anyone here know Gus personally?

1. Jeeves:

1. Do you know why the electricity came back on? Does someone have to flip the switch back up?
  2. Are there any video cameras in the house? Assuming that there are so many valuables, there should be a security system.
  3. How did Mr Thatcher acquire all these valuables? Was he an avid collector?
  4. How did he get his fortune?

2. Sofie:

1. You mentioned you started working here a few months back, am I right?
  2. If yes, to above - What were you doing before you came here?

3. Claire

1. Why have you been so supportive of Thatcher Mansion's events?
  2. Do you know Thadeus?

Also, can I get Detective Spencer to give a description of everyone's physical attributes (i.e. fat, thin, clothes: wearing long overcoat, etc.).

Thanks.

Edited by scsw

Was anyone at the party pretending to be someone their not? you would have to ask around for that

Was the cook making something with glaze such as donuts?ditto to my last answer

To the maid: " Have you had any recent involvment with the PTP? (i think that's the name) OR, did you notice anythign strange or any hostility when the party was being planned?

Maid: No i haven't. I had just recently heard of it when Gus came to the party and presented himself as the representative of that organization.

To detective: was the cause of death for Gus ever determined? If yes, what was it? again, nobody has checked Gus to see if he was alive or not.

Has anyone checked the kitchen for clues on where the cook might be, maybe something helpful was left. no...nobody has checked the kitchen

Desmond: Well, my latest book was about a young man who solves a mystery. This was dedicated to Detective Spencer. I believe it was called, 687-3377* which spells Murders on a keypad for a telephone. My Ideas are usually inspired by random events that get me thinking of something, but can be based on true events, such as my latest novel.

detective: did you determine what kind of footwear made the prints outside the house?

were there any clues anywhere around Gus body? footprints?

Spencer: No, I couldn't identify the footprints very well on account that the sole of the perpitraitor's shoes where smooth and flat, but they where quite big which suggests greatly that the masked figure was a man. The only clue around Gus was the gigantic bruise on his head, but...wait...he's stirring...oh thank heavens, he's still alive. He gave us quite a fright there.

Edited by No1slight

It's difficult to join halfway, but I'll give it a shot. Looks fun.

To No1slight: Is it still the evening Thatcher was murdered? (Was just glancing over previous posts, so I'm sorry if I missed anything). Yes, strangely enough, this is one of those mysteries where it stays night just until the "parlor scene"

Also,

A few things, that I guess have to be observed/investigated in person:

1.) Where was Jeeves standing when he heard the "faint knock" on the door? He was on his way to the lounge

2.) The fuse box was outside? Was it in the rain? Are there anything suspicious around, like overhead beams, burn marks around the fuse box, etc.

yes, the fusebox is outside, but it is under an awning. When Spencer surveyed the area around the fusebox, there was nothing suspicious.

3.) Was anything missing after the black out? (can also be answered by Jeeves, question 2)Jeeves says that he doesn't recall anythig missing after the blackout, but has not checked recently.

4.) Is Gus really dead - or fainted? If so, how did Gus die? Gus has just awoken from his miniscule coma

5.) Inspect the trophy room. Al cuarto del trofeo!

Questions:

Everyone:

1. Do you know Mr Thatcher? If so, how did you know each other. Tell me about him.Thadues knows him personally, Gus and Claire know him through business, the help as an employer, and the others (Naomi and Spencer) through rep
  2. Does anyone here know Gus personally? no

1. Jeeves:

1. Do you know why the electricity came back on? Does someone have to flip the switch back up?
  2. Are there any video cameras in the house? Assuming that there are so many valuables, there should be a security system.
  3. How did Mr Thatcher acquire all these valuables? Was he an avid collector?
  4. How did he get his fortune?

2. Sofie:

1. You mentioned you started working here a few months back, am I right?
  2. If yes, to above - What were you doing before you came here?

3. Claire

1. Why have you been so supportive of Thatcher Mansion's events?
  2. Do you know Thadeus?

Also, can I get Detective Spencer to give a description of everyone's physical attributes (i.e. fat, thin, clothes: wearing long overcoat, etc.).

Thanks.

Jeeves Qs:

• no; yes if in the off position
  • no it was take out for the party (nobody really understands why)
  • unknown

Sophie Qs:
    • yes, 3 to be exact
    • this is her first job

Claire Qs:

[*]her father supported him and she want's thatcher to sponsor them

[*]not personally or business wise

Edited by No1slight

inspired by Scsw's request it's the

Detective's Journal!!!!

Detective's journal: Character Profiles (physical)

Thadues: hair: Brown, but bald

eyes: Blue

Height: 5'5"

Build: Medium

Notes: seems to be a bit out of shape and slightly portly

Sophie: Hair: Blond

Eyes: Brown

Height 5'0"

Build:petite

Notes: She is a very beautiful woman and a very hard worker at that.

Jeeves: Hair: Gray

Eyes: Same as hair

Height: 6'0"

Build: Light

Notes: He is a bit bland in most everything

Me: Hair: Brown

Eyes: Blue

Height: 6'2"

Build: Medium

Notes: i cannot say much without sounding conceited :lol:

Fredward Desmond: Hair: Black

Eyes: Amber

Height: 5'10"

Notes: for being in such great shape his walking is a bit more inclined to his right

Claire Savanah: Hair: Brown with Blond highlights

Eyes: Green to match her love

Height: 5'7"

Build: like a stereotyped rich woman

Notes: She seems to love her money more than her fiance and is so thin that her waist could hide behind a lamp's post (exaggeration of course)

Naomi Spencer: Hair: Dirty Blond

Eyes: Hazel

Height: 5'0"

Notes: She seems very small, but I feel that there is more to her than meets the eye

Augustice "Gus" Maylor: Hair: Silver

Eyes: Saphire

Height: 4'11.99"

Build: light

Notes: not much to say about him other than his outrageous love for antiques gets somewhat annoying

Cook: N/A

Notes: Jolly and unseen by anybody but the butler Jeeves

well that's all for now. DON'T FORGET THE NEWSFLASHES!!! (just a friendly reminder ;) )

"I believe it was called, 687-3377* which spells Murders on a keypad for a telephone." -Fredward Desmond

*this is a forshadowing of the next installment of Detective Jonathan Spencer *dah dahdahdah* :D

NEWSFLASH!!!!!!

the power is out for good now... they have to rely on candles for light (except Detective spence who brought his trusty rusty flashlight) and the front door shows sign of recent entry after that of Thatcher...what will happen next?

NEWS FLASH:

Detective Spencer has found some sort of map of Thatcher Manor...some halls appear to be in the walls...but how?

Some older mansions have secret passageways in their walls to move secretly from room to room. Maybe now would be a good time to explore the rooms and see what can be found in there.

Some older mansions have secret passageways in their walls to move secretly from room to room. Maybe now would be a good time to explore the rooms and see what can be found in there.

I think that the hallway in the walls is relevant in this mystery. Can you please tell me what I will find as I walk through the secret hallway in the walls.

I think that the hallway in the walls is relevant in this mystery. Can you please tell me what I will find as I walk through the secret hallway in the walls.

it's about time someone brought that up :lol:

anyway: As Spencer walks through the secret passage, which starts in the lounge, he seems to feel a draft meaning that this either leads outside or someplace where air is circulating, like a ventilation system. Using his trusty rusty flashlight, Spencer continues to walk through the dark corridor lit only by the steady beam of Spencer's flashlight. The walls are made up of bricks and the floor seems to be made up of dirt. As he continues, he reaches the end and opens the door at the end with a small push to the side. with a quick survey of his surroundings, Spencer finds he is in...the trophy room. As he walks toward the door, he trips over something carelessly hidden (in fact you could see a giant lump) under the rug. after removing the rug, there is...the body of the cook. He checks for vital signs...but there are none. After further inspection, it appears that the cook died from a knife wound and was literally back-stabbed. What will happen next?

P.S. Someone should talk to Gus.

Gus: You were looking around at the antiques and what not. You were found by the trophey room. Did you see, hear, or smell anything suspicious?

Did you see the cook at all that day?

Where exactly were you roaming around at? Were you not worried about the "killer" still being around?

Gus: You were looking around at the antiques and what not. You were found by the trophey room. Did you see, hear, or smell anything suspicious?

Did you see the cook at all that day?

Where exactly were you roaming around at? Were you not worried about the "killer" still being around?

Gus: Yes I was. When I walked to the trophy room, I heard a strange noise. I looked in and I saw the cook on the floor with a masked man standing over him. Then the next thing i knew, he threw a punch that could make your grandkids hurt. I actually hadn't seen the cook all day...or ever in fact. And as for my roaming around, I went from the lounge to the foyer to the hall. I wasn't too concerned about my welfare because I was too enthralled by the thought of seeing those priceless antiques.

The cook was told to turn off the power the first time. Then, when he refused to do it agian, he was killed by the culprit. Also, I think the detective did it!! You thought you could get away with it but you can't!! Haahah jk.

:lol:

The cook was told to turn off the power the first time. Then, when he refused to do it agian, he was killed by the culprit. Also, I think the detective did it!! You thought you could get away with it but you can't!! Haahah jk.
:lol:

Not really on the right track. remember that after the lights went out for good the door was found to be ajar so there could be more than the masked man and the party pple in the mansion.

With the newsflash: Everyone should stick together. In twos at least.

Observations:

1. Does Gus have signs of being assaulted?

Detective Spencer:

1. Can you determine the cook's time of death? Was it before or after the first power outage?

With the newsflash: Everyone should stick together. In twos at least.

Observations:

1. Does Gus have signs of being assaulted?

Detective Spencer:

1. Can you determine the cook's time of death? Was it before or after the first power outage?

Newsflash: Yes i agree with you but keep in mind that the unidentified masked person is now known as a man and could easily overpower 1 group if that group consisted of Sophie and Claire. Naomi could hold her own. so here are the groups:

Group Alpha: Spencer and Thadues; Spencer must protect Thadues as he might be the next target.

Group Beta: Gus and Sophie; Gus and Sophie are the least likely to quarrel with each other.

Group Gamma: Desmond and Claire; Claire would only pair with someone who was rich.

Group Delta: Jeeves and Naomi; They were the last two (and Naomi can probably protect Jeeves if the help is being targeted :P )

Obs: yes he has a bruise on his forehead to the left (from your perspective)

Spencer: Yes, but I'm not too accurate, but considering that the cook served dinner to us at 8:00 PM and it is now 11:00 PM, I can surely say that the cook was killed at least 1 hour to 30 min ago because the butler was talking with the cook at 2 hours before he was killed.

Edited by No1slight

Hmm, a lie detector would make things easier. In a perfect world. :) But nothing's ever perfect so;

Observation:

1. What food was served during dinner?
  2. (Not sure if I already asked this but) How many stories was the mansion?
  3. Was the part of the mansion where the fuse box is located well lit?

Gus:

1. You said you saw the cook's body? Through the carpet?
  2. What was this masked person's build (body)?

Naomi:

1. Were you involved in any form of martial arts?
  2. Do you know anyone here well?
  3. Can you tell me more about the figure you saw in the window?