Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
353 replies to this topic

#31 CuteSparklezGirl

CuteSparklezGirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:16 AM

I believe in a 'higher power'...but not some guy who sits up in the clouds and controls us...I also believe in free will...

What do you mean by higher power? Something like the Holy Spirit? And do you beleive free will is a function of our brain or a gift from God?

#32 CuteSparklezGirl

CuteSparklezGirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:20 AM

On free will:
My parernt always taught me that free will was a gift from God.
Of course I am a little skeptic of that now.
I am not, btw blaming my parents. I know they were trained, just like me.
well my dad at least.
My mom seems so involved with the spiritual world it is SCARY!

#33 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:28 AM

Oh, on the note of higher beings, my friend James presented me with a theory that I'm still a bit uncertain about, but.. it somewhat makes sense? He's not religious, but he believes in gods. These gods aren't gods in an Abrahamic sense, and should not be worshiped or any of that. They don't really even particularly are about us at all. Essentially, they're called 'devas', and are more powerful than life as we know it, but they did not create us, and they don't interfere with us. It was said that they exist in higher dimensions, which is why they're undetected. They have the ability to interfere with human life, but generally don't, because as I said, they don't care about us.

Now, I can totally see some higher dimensional being existing. *shrugs* They probably do, but I don't know enough math to begin getting into that properly. Does anyone know any specifics about devas they'd like to share? Relatively certain the word is derived from Hindu?

#34 Kathleen

Kathleen

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2557 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:30 AM

On free will:
My parents always taught me that free will was a gift from God.

Er...randomlly jutting into a debate that I probably don't have much to add in but...

If you look at that *take a good, long, atheist, opinionated look*, its kinda ironic...

The Church has always been controlling. It's the way of life; people want to convince others that their way is right, and the more people who agree with them, the more right they think they are. Free will, and the ideas of the Catholic Church, have never been on a first name basis, to put it lightly. Just a random thought...

<(^-^)>

#35 Atlantis

Atlantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:31 AM

What do you mean by higher power? Something like the Holy Spirit? And do you beleive free will is a function of our brain or a gift from God?

'higher power' like spirits of the earth...such as (don't laugh) faries and elves...creatures that live in and care for the earth...I've seen them...as for free will...a function of our brain...

#36 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:32 AM

'higher power' like spirits of the earth...such as (don't laugh) faries and elves...creatures that live in and care for the earth...I've seen them...as for free will...a function of our brain...

You've seen proper fairies and garden gnomes and stuff?

#37 Atlantis

Atlantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:38 AM

...yes...no...faries, elves, ghosts...thanks 4 not laughing...

#38 Zerep

Zerep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:38 AM

I wish there was a forehead slapping smilie. Did you even read all of this? Do you understand it? I believe in God, but the important thing is not to run out unequiped and expect to get anywhere.

Seek first to understand.

First, seek to understand your own beliefs. Be willing to make changes where changes are due. I have grown up my entire life in church and I can tell you that there is alot of crap that gets thrown in during Sunday school. Not all of it is truth. I had to go through a horrible process of deconstruction in order to get to the core of what I believed, after discarding the excess junk. But dont let that discourage you. Truth can be found. I believe that God exists, but alot of things that they say in church are not true. Read your bible, and not just what you are told to read. Test the information. Read online analysis of particular passages and how various passages relate to each other. Look up word definitions and root words. Look up literal translations. Greek and Hebrew do not always translate as cleanly as the NIV and NKJV make it look. Contemplate your views often. Do not let any belief go untested. You must have a firm foundation, and you can not build a firm foundation with crap.

Seek to understand others. One of the best things I did was I looked up Atheist Sites. Look at their views and the comments that they have. Seek to understand their arguments. I guarentee you that many Atheists know the Bible better than you do. Seek to know it better than them. You may not always have a response right away, that is ok. It is good to allow some of their ideas into your mind. They are not stupid and their believe in the non-existence of God is not without reason. It is sad that many christians' beliefs in God are without reason and they expect others to be the same way.

Apologetics is also an intersting topic to look up. But do not try to argue something that you do not fully understand. It is good to see that you are interested, and I encourage you to keep trying.

That was very well said, and probably the only post in ahwhile that I took time to actually read through.

#39 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:43 AM

...yes...no...faries, elves, ghosts...thanks 4 not laughing...

I wasn't mocking you. :huh: What do elves look like? (I'm just a generally curious person.)

#40 Atlantis

Atlantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:48 AM

I wasn't mocking you. :huh: What do elves look like? (I'm just a generally curious person.)

they R hard 2 C and quick...basically they are like small, thin people...kind of like faries minus the wings...plus elves don't glow...that's up 2 the faries...have U ever been walking thru the woods and feel ilke someone is watching U?...probably elves...take care of the earth and U might see one...plus U must believe with your heart...not just wanna C 1 2 say U have...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users