Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
353 replies to this topic

#331 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

Wait wait wait. You claimed to believe EVERYTHING in the Bible, but refuse Hell? I assume that's pretty much only because it isn't to your family's liking, much the same as other Bible verses that aren't taken literally anymore.

Edited by Izzy, 26 April 2009 - 06:40 PM.

#332 dath244

dath244

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:28 PM

Wait wait wait. You claimed to believe EVERYTHING in the Bible, but refuse Hell? I assume that's pretty much only because it isn't to your family's liking, much the same as other Bible verses that aren't taken literally anymore.

A while back i did say everything was a strong word. I guess what i mean when i say there is no hell, is that hell is not eternal.heres what my religion teaches:

Adventists teach that the resurrection of the righteous will take place at the second coming of Jesus, while the resurrection of the wicked will occur after the millennium of Revelation 20. They reject the traditional doctrine of hell as a state of everlasting conscious torment, believing instead that the wicked will be permanently destroyed after the millennium. The theological term for this teaching is Annihilationism.

#333 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 07:32 PM

Haha, Annihilationism. Coolest word ever. Whatever, dude. You're religion is just another little subsection of Christianity and Islam (whichever came first), no more right than its parents.

Who came up with Annihilationism? What book do you follow?

#334 kawnsentrait

kawnsentrait

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:53 AM

So I just stumbled upon this section and this post... happy to have done so. I used to participate in another website with discussions like this but work got to be too much so I really hope this one will be better, especially since BrainDen has a more intellectual crowd than my former site, ironically called BD as well (Boxden).

Moral of the story is I miss good old fashion debates. Izzy, you and I debated once before and I look forward to more.

Quick intro:

I am 24, male and live in Wisconsin. I have a bachelor;s degree in biology with an emphasis on human evolution. I am about 98% atheist, 2% agnostic. I could argue until I am blue in the face about ID and other attempts of fundamentalists to insert Christianity into the schools and I look forward to doing so, but it appears this thread is pretty thorough already. We'll see where it leads.

#335 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 03:16 AM

Kawnsentrait! Good to have you back. We seem to be on the same 'team' this time. :)

#336 d3k3

d3k3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

Yes, a single photon at a time. Here's the wikipedia link that gives a good overview:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheeler's...oice_experiment

And here's a quote from ScienceNOW, written by Adrian Cho, that gives a lay summary of the 2007 result:

The excerpt says "light can be either a graceful rippling wave or a hail of bulletlike particles", and that "the photon does not decide whether to behave like a particle or a wave when it hits the first beam splitter." Both statements are technically incorrect. Light is not made of particles and waves, nor is it something that chooses to behave like one or the other, retroactively or otherwise. Rather it is something that has some properties of both particles and waves, and always behaves as both. Which of those properties you observe depends on which you were looking for.

Nonetheless, it appears you can indeed "split" a single photon. On that, I stand corrected. I suppose its quantum probability field is being scattered. Looks like I have some physics to bone up on...

#337 dath244

dath244

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

what do you mean by what book?

#338 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 02:31 AM

Bible (if so, which version), Koran, etc.

#339 Bran

Bran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:05 AM

Yes, there is a spiritual world. I am a baptist Christian who believes in heaven and hell, but not the Catholic purgatory. After all, the idea of purgatory was never in the Bible. There is also nothing to support the existence of ghosts. Why is only the theory of evolution only in schools? It has more holes in it than a Dutch dam made of Swiss cheese. For more info about the spiritual world, see the book of Revelations.

#340 plasmid

plasmid

Senior Lolcat

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1393 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:13 AM

Yes, there is a spiritual world. I am a baptist Christian who believes in heaven and hell, but not the Catholic purgatory. After all, the idea of purgatory was never in the Bible. There is also nothing to support the existence of ghosts. Why is only the theory of evolution only in schools? It has more holes in it than a Dutch dam made of Swiss cheese. For more info about the spiritual world, see the book of Revelations.

Please inform the new swine flu that it could not possibly have evolved and therefore does not exist.
Perhaps it will listen to your reasoning and be convinced to stop killing people.

Edited by plasmid, 28 April 2009 - 03:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users