Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
353 replies to this topic

#11 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:40 PM

Argument from Design *sigh* :P

I have many opinions and rejections to this argument, and I will bring out my own responses to it if you've read this article and still don't see why the Argument from Design is fundamentally flawed

http://skepdic.com/design.html

#12 Romulus064

Romulus064

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

Looking at this from the stand point of a mediator.
The existence of a "SupernaturalalmightycreatorGod" Cannot be proven or proven false.

Pros For Existence:

The Bible: The story of the "SupernaturalalmightycreatorGod" among the Jews
Form of Evidence: Eyewitness Journal accounts.

Because of the extreme age of the text, there is no one around to verify that this is without a doubt a completely accurate book and not just a myth.

Imprint of a boat in Mt. Ararat

It is disputable that this imprint is merely the basis for the legend and not the end result

Cons For Existence

There is no physical evidence

Lack of evidence does not constitute lack of existance

Evolution vs. Creation

It is still disputable that the "SupernaturalalmightycreatorGod" may have made things according to scientific laws

In other words, the fact that it exists as an idea, and that there is no physical evidence that could prove that he does not exist, and no physical evidence that he does exist, means that this "SupernaturalalmightycreatorGod" is beyond the realm of science.

In less words, the only way to find out is to kill yourself, and then you still only have a 50% chance of knowing. :(

#13 IDoNotExist

IDoNotExist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:34 AM

f of God - Intelligent Design

I wish there was a forehead slapping smilie. Did you even read all of this? Do you understand it? I believe in God, but the important thing is not to run out unequiped and expect to get anywhere.

Seek first to understand.

First, seek to understand your own beliefs. Be willing to make changes where changes are due. I have grown up my entire life in church and I can tell you that there is alot of crap that gets thrown in during Sunday school. Not all of it is truth. I had to go through a horrible process of deconstruction in order to get to the core of what I believed, after discarding the excess junk. But dont let that discourage you. Truth can be found. I believe that God exists, but alot of things that they say in church are not true. Read your bible, and not just what you are told to read. Test the information. Read online analysis of particular passages and how various passages relate to each other. Look up word definitions and root words. Look up literal translations. Greek and Hebrew do not always translate as cleanly as the NIV and NKJV make it look. Contemplate your views often. Do not let any belief go untested. You must have a firm foundation, and you can not build a firm foundation with crap.

Seek to understand others. One of the best things I did was I looked up Atheist Sites. Look at their views and the comments that they have. Seek to understand their arguments. I guarentee you that many Atheists know the Bible better than you do. Seek to know it better than them. You may not always have a response right away, that is ok. It is good to allow some of their ideas into your mind. They are not stupid and their believe in the non-existence of God is not without reason. It is sad that many christians' beliefs in God are without reason and they expect others to be the same way.

Apologetics is also an intersting topic to look up. But do not try to argue something that you do not fully understand. It is good to see that you are interested, and I encourage you to keep trying.

#14 Atlantis

Atlantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:40 AM

Reincarnation? As another human being or as anything? You would really have to do alot of explaining for me to understand that one.

what U R reincarnated as will depend upon how U act and what U learn in this life...if U R good and U learn what U need 2, U will get a good life the next time around...if not U might have it a bit harder...any more questions?...

#15 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:41 AM

IDNE, you have to be my favorite theist alive. I salute you. :)

#16 Atlantis

Atlantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:46 AM

If the supernatural is obvious... Why not God?

I believe there might have been a man named 'Jesus'...he might have had abilities that, at the time, appeared 'magical'...but I also believe that he wuz a human, possibly even had a wife and kids, and that he died...maybe this 'rebirth' they keep talking about was him being reincarnated?...I'm also fairly sure he wuz not a light skinned, blue eyed guy like so many pictures depict...he wuz probably a very dark skinned man with brown eyes...fits that part of the world...

#17 Atlantis

Atlantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:49 AM

I wish there was a forehead slapping smilie. Did you even read all of this? Do you understand it? I believe in God, but the important thing is not to run out unequiped and expect to get anywhere.

First, seek to understand your own beliefs. Be willing to make changes where changes are due. I have grown up my entire life in church and I can tell you that there is alot of crap that gets thrown in during Sunday school. Not all of it is truth. I had to go through a horrible process of deconstruction in order to get to the core of what I believed, after discarding the excess junk. But dont let that discourage you. Truth can be found. I believe that God exists, but alot of things that they say in church are not true. Read your bible, and not just what you are told to read. Test the information. Read online analysis of particular passages and how various passages relate to each other. Look up word definitions and root words. Look up literal translations. Greek and Hebrew do not always translate as cleanly as the NIV and NKJV make it look. Contemplate your views often. Do not let any belief go untested. You must have a firm foundation, and you can not build a firm foundation with crap.

Seek to understand others. One of the best things I did was I looked up Atheist Sites. Look at their views and the comments that they have. Seek to understand their arguments. I guarentee you that many Atheists know the Bible better than you do. Seek to know it better than them. You may not always have a response right away, that is ok. It is good to allow some of their ideas into your mind. They are not stupid and their believe in the non-existence of God is not without reason. It is sad that many christians' beliefs in God are without reason and they expect others to be the same way.

Apologetics is also an intersting topic to look up. But do not try to argue something that you do not fully understand. It is good to see that you are interested, and I encourage you to keep trying.

I agree with U about church...I will subscribe 2 an organized religion only if and when they admit that there are parts of each and every religion that are based in fact and that their religion is not the 'correct' one or the 'best' one...

#18 CuteSparklezGirl

CuteSparklezGirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:21 AM

Oh my Gosh! I have to say... I am NOT offended in the least... I am so grateful to you. I almost cried when I read it. This just goes to prove I have been away from brainden too long. You guys are such good people. I love your advice. I put it into Word, printed it out and taped it to my bedroom wall. I am not even kidding. Thank You.

#19 Atlantis

Atlantis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:23 AM

Oh my Gosh! I have to say... I am NOT offended in the least... I am so grateful to you. I almost cried when I read it. This just goes to prove I have been away from brainden too long. You guys are such good people. I love your advice. I put it into Word, printed it out and taped it to my bedroom wall. I am not even kidding. Thank You.

R we converting U?...jk...

#20 CuteSparklezGirl

CuteSparklezGirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 03:30 AM

LOL.... I am already a theist but I don't really know my own faith.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users