Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Welcome to Minnesota. Brrr!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:02 PM

In the end, sorry to say, all they would offer for the plans was the plastic magnifying glass from a box of Cracker Jacks.

LOL - do I at least get the Cracker Jacks also? :D

I noticed crumbs on the floor so I can only assume the worst.

Are there any other rules the FCC wants to give us? Since we couldn't solve for 8 under the strict requirements, there's no way to solve for 10 with the same requirements....

...unless....

Spoiler for solution

You're on an interesting track. Squares inside squares, circles inside circles, pentagons within pentagons?
They received a note from Petersen that mentioned unit graphs, whatever that is.
They were about to reach for the phone to call him, but Google might be even faster ....

That's all I can think of.
Good luck, but hurry: that fat consultant check might go to JP.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#12 PDR

PDR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 11:04 PM

I just love learning something new. Google is almost as good as duct tape and velcro - better even in some parts of the world. That Peterson guy must have been as smart as Escher since he was able to figure this out without Google. However did they do it back in 1898 without the help of Sergey and Larry to point the way?

When I agreed with Writersblock on his assessment in my previous post, we both completely missed that since each building can connect to 2 others, that means we CAN have 10 buildings given the constraints required. Since each building connects to 2 others, if we start with building #1, each of the buildings it connects to can also connect to 2 buildings, that means there are 3 sets of 3 buildings, plus the first building - or 10 buildings in all. I'd hate to spoil it and tell all how to connect the dots (so to speak) - but it can be done.

Unfortunately, I'll be unable to bid on the job as my license precludes me from working on anything resembling a hemi-dodecahedron. I'm sure I'll enjoy visiting once you do get it built though.

#13 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 15 November 2007 - 12:01 PM

Boy, I hear ya. Those anti-hemi-dodecahedron licenses really bite.

For the interested, the walkways [ and I guess Petersen gets the stipend ] look like this.
The equal-length version is on the right.
Posted Image . . . . . Posted Image
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users