Through hamlet of first twins,

And the teacher wed to greed hath grasped

Fair justice in the win.

One pupil held against the bore,

And punished for the lie,

Hath risen from the depths of lore

To name the evil eye.

Since twins are connected to hamlet, it could refer to:

1. twin cities (cities in close proximity to each other, such as St. Paul & Minneapolis. There are a large number of such cities in the world, and in some works of fiction.)

2. cities/towns named after each other?

3. A city within a city (for example the Vatican, inside of Rome)

dwilly (and players) your thoughts on twin cities in # 1 are along the correct lines. I found nothing with a google search to give this away so I might as well come out and say, the hamlet of first twins refers to a major city (now, though much smaller some time ago). It was oficially twinned with another European city over 65 years ago. Unfortunately, one reference I found pertaining to the city in question, while penning the riddle, stated that it is considered the world's first twin city. Further research has thrown this into doubt. Regardless, the focus on the "first twins" is a non-starter as even knowing the city would likely NOT lead to solving the riddle.

His gyfu

Final form. Maybe it will help:

Flesh on flesh, back to back

God’s gift revealed for all

Though meant for none, and thieved by one;

The greedy dare was called.

Demurely did the noble pass

Through city to be twin.

This teacher wed to greed hath grasped

Fair justice in the win.

And a pupil held against the bore

And punished for a spy,

Hath risen from the depths of lore

To name the evil eye.

d3k3 once again. Bravo. Charisma with backup.

Naturally, bare flesh on horse flesh, Godiva’s backside on horseback.

Godiva is Latinized form of Godgyfu, which means literally “gift of God.” She revealed herself by riding naked through the town of Coventry, a city twinned after WWII with Dresden. The ride was actually a dare by her greedy husband. Godiva was a widow before her second marriage and a noblewoman dedicated to fairness and justice. She deplored her husband’s high taxation upon the good residents of Coventry and continually begged him to lower his rents. Again and again he refused until in mocking jest he told her that he would lower his taxes the day she rode naked through the streets of Coventry. She called him on his dare and it was agreed by all citizens of Coventry that they would shutter their windows on the day this took place and not look upon her in sin, thus defiling the charitable nature of her act. This much of the legend is fairly accepted as historical truth. Later legend has it that the town tailor “Tom” bored a hole in his shutter and peered at her as she passed (pupil to the bore). For his transgression he was struck blind (or died) and his name has risen from legend . . . “peeping Tom.”

She revealed herself by riding naked through the town of Coventry, a city twinned after WWII with Dresden.

That's true, but according to my information, Coventry was first twinned with Stalingrad (which is now Volgograd again) during the war (WWII, that is). It was done as a gesture of solidarity with the Soviets, and because both cities were considered to have suffered badly (although one obviously had it much worse than the other).

Coventry and Dresden were both infamously bombed during the war. Because neither had any targets of significant military or industrial value, they were obvious cases of terror bombing, which explains why they did become twin cities, but not until after the war.

Either way, it's still a great riddle. - D

That's true, but according to my information, Coventry was first twinned with Stalingrad (which is now Volgograd again) during the war (WWII, that is). It was done as a gesture of solidarity with the Soviets, and because both cities were considered to have suffered badly (although one obviously had it much worse than the other).

Coventry and Dresden were both infamously bombed during the war. Because neither had any targets of significant military or industrial value, they were obvious cases of terror bombing, which explains why they did become twin cities, but not until after the war.

Either way, it's still a great riddle. - D

Yeah, I didn't know whether to go with the Stalingrad info I got from Wiki, or the Dresden thing. No diff. Thanks for the kudos and keep knocking 'em down so I can put more up. :D

S.