BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Lion and Unicorn I.

rookie1ja

in truth, there is something most people forgot. this is in the forest of forgetfulness. therfeore, we shall not be able to be sure wether or not the unicorn or the lion actually remebered if they lied or not on this day

It seems to me that they could have been talking about lying down on the ground as well, in which case, any of the days could be the correct solution :)

Nice one, makes me think of bed. I'll shoot off down the windy windy road for a number of minutes before I become number.

• 2 weeks later...

Could you not solve this with just the information from the Lion? THe only day I see his statement being true is Thursday, and if he made the statement any of the previous three days he would have been telling the truth, violating the initial statement. However if he made the statement on any of the following three days (F,S,Su) He would also be violating the initial statement of the Lion's Schedule.

Why is the unicorn important?

• 1 month later...
Lion and Unicorn I. - Back to the Logic Problems

Alice came across a lion and a unicorn in a forest of forgetfulness. Those two are strange beings. The lion lies every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and the other days he speaks the truth. The unicorn lies on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, however the other days of the week he speaks the truth.

Lion: Yesterday I was lying.

Unicorn: So was I.

Which day did they say that?

Lion and Unicorn I. - solution

As there is no day when both of the beings would be lying, at least one of them must have spoken the truth. They both speak the truth only on Sunday. However, the Lion would then be lying in his statement, so it couldn’t be said on Sunday. So exactly one of them lied.

If the Unicorn was honest, then it would have to be Sunday – but previously we proved this wrong. Thus only the Lion spoke the truth when he met Alice on Thursday and spoke with the Unicorn about Wednesday.

NO, IT WAS ON A THURSDAY BECAUSE THE LION WAS TELLING THE TRUTH AND THE UNICORN WAS LYING.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Answer is just thursday. I developed a program based in pascal that test every day . I also drew a chart after read one of the answers and my program simulate the generation of the chart and the process of the comparison of the result in order to determine what is the answer.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first posting and my answer straight away was thursday, however, I have read through all the other postings and then reread the puzzle only to understand why there were other answers.

The Lion and the Unicorn meet in the forest of forgetfulness so there is alot they could forget: the day, what they said yesterday, what day they lie etc...

Also there are a few postings that imply that there are other days that the Lion and Unicorn could have said what they said. The puzzle doesn't specifically say that on the days they lie, they could also tell the truth.

So is there more to this puzzle?

My answers:

Reading it once - Thursday

Forest of Forgetfulness - any day

If on the days that they lie, they could also tell the truth - Tuesday through to Saturday

If on the days that they lie, they only lie - Thursday

The fact that they are both Male - any day :)

One last note, I would not want to be Alice!

• 2 months later...

It must be Thursday for it is the only day connecting the beginning of one way of life and the end of another, the Lion speaking truth and the Unicorn speaking Lies.

Sunday can't work for both of them must tell the truth.

• 5 months later...
This is completely ridiculous, people - it could be any day between Tuesday and Saturday.

Let me break it down for you.

Monday - impossible, the unicorn also told the truth on Sunday and can't lie about it.

Tuesday - possible if the lion is telling the truth and the unicorn is lying.

Wednesday - possible if lion=LIE and uni=TRUTH

Thursday - possible if lion=TRUTH and uni=LIE

Friday - possible if lion=LIE and uni=TRUTH

Saturday - possible if lion=TRUTH and uni=LIE

Sunday - impossible because today they are both telling the truth.

Agree?

No actually, the Lion can't tell the truth on Mon/Tues/and Wed. So Tues and Wed aren't options. And the Lion is honest Thur - Sun, so he couldn't have honestly said he lied the day before Fri/Sat/& Sun. Thur is the only option

Obviously, the answer is Thursday. The chart does clarify the problem to some degree. However, those who haven't thought about the details thorougly enough might say that the answer is Mon-Fri.(no offense)