BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Lion and Unicorn I.

rookie1ja

Lion and Unicorn I. - Back to the Logic Problems

Alice came across a lion and a unicorn in a forest of forgetfulness. Those two are strange beings. The lion lies every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and the other days he speaks the truth. The unicorn lies on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, however the other days of the week he speaks the truth.

Lion: Yesterday I was lying.

Unicorn: So was I.

Which day did they say that?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.

Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Lion and Unicorn I. - solution

As there is no day when both of the beings would be lying, at least one of them must have spoken the truth. They both speak the truth only on Sunday. However, the Lion would then be lying in his statement, so it couldn’t be said on Sunday. So exactly one of them lied.

If the Unicorn was honest, then it would have to be Sunday – but previously we proved this wrong. Thus only the Lion spoke the truth when he met Alice on Thursday and spoke with the Unicorn about Wednesday.

• 1 month later...

Alice came across a lion and a unicorn in a forest of forgetfulness. Those two are strange beings. The lion lies every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and the other days he speaks the truth. The unicorn lies on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays, however the other days of the week he speaks the truth.

Thursday. Lion: Yesterday I was lying. This is truth because he lies on Wednesdays and tells the truth on Thursdays. Unicorn: So was I. This is a lie because he tells the truth on Wednesdays and lies on Thursdays.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone remembered seeing lions in zoo parks or nature programmes????!!!! Gad, they are always lying! Lions symbolize the ultimate economy of energy.Thus, the lion and the UNicorn could only be saying this on Sunday. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
WAT!!! I DONT GET THIS!!

I draw a chart for these:

S M Tu W Th F Sat

Lion T L L L T T T

Unicorn T T T T L L L

Thursday is the only day that meets the parameters.

• 1 month later...
Lion and Unicorn I. - Back to the Logic Problems

Well, of course the day was the day of the god of thunder.

• 2 months later...

This is completely ridiculous, people - it could be any day between Tuesday and Saturday.

Let me break it down for you.

Monday - impossible, the unicorn also told the truth on Sunday and can't lie about it.

Tuesday - possible if the lion is telling the truth and the unicorn is lying.

Wednesday - possible if lion=LIE and uni=TRUTH

Thursday - possible if lion=TRUTH and uni=LIE

Friday - possible if lion=LIE and uni=TRUTH

Saturday - possible if lion=TRUTH and uni=LIE

Sunday - impossible because today they are both telling the truth.

Agree?

• 2 weeks later...

wrong, the lion doesent lie on friday, therefore his statement would be a lie, which he doesent lie on saturday so, thats also wrong.

your forgetting to check the previous days to make sure that they fit into the lil puzzle.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
This is completely ridiculous, people - it could be any day between Tuesday and Saturday.

Monday - impossible, the unicorn also told the truth on Sunday and can't lie about it.

Agree?

Uhhh, no.

Monday - I agree it's impossible.

Tuesday - IMPOSSIBLE, because the lion LIES on MONDAYS, so he wouldn't say he LIED THE DAY BEFORE if he is still lying today.

Wednesday - IMPOSSIBLE for the same reason as mentioned above.

Thursday - Solution! The Lion lied the day before (Wednesday), and is now telling the truth today, concurrently while the Unicorn lies about himself telling the truth yesterday, today!

Friday - IMPOSSIBLE, because the unicorn would not tell the truth that he was lying yesterday, if he is lying TODAY.

Saturday - IMPOSSIBLE, for the same reason as above.

Sunday - I agree with you that it's similarly impossible, because both are now telling the truth.

Agree?

The lion lies every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and the other days he speaks the truth. The unicorn lies on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays and the other days he speaks the truth.

Tuesday, the lion can't tell the truth, wednesday the unicorn doesn't lie, friday the lion doesn't lie, saturday, you have it wrong, the unicorn would have to be telling the truth (but he can't)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Um well i say Friday because:

Mon: Lion - fits

Uni - doesn't

Tues: Lion - doesn't so dont even think about uni

Wed: Lion - no so same thing

Thurs: Lion - yes because he tells the truth today and was telling lies yester day

Uni - yes because he is lying 2day and was telling the truth yesterday.

Fri: Lion - same case as Tuesday

Sat: Same thing

Sun: same thing

So wouldn't it be thursday??

And also i don't get the solution provided it sounds as if the answer is both wednesday and thursday.

Plz explain :(

PS if you think i'm a little dumb then srry!!! (im not a rocket scientist and im not sure what age group actually comes here) -_- (you guys sounds much MUCH older than i am!!!)

Um well i say Friday because:

Mon: Lion - fits

Uni - doesn't

Tues: Lion - doesn't so dont even think about uni

Wed: Lion - no so same thing

Thurs: Lion - yes because he tells the truth today and was telling lies yester day

Uni - yes because he is lying 2day and was telling the truth yesterday.

Fri: Lion - same case as Tuesday

Sat: Same thing

Sun: same thing

So wouldn't it be thursday??

And also i don't get the solution provided it sounds as if the answer is both wednesday and thursday.

Plz explain :(

PS if you think i'm a little dumb then srry!!! (im not a rocket scientist and im not sure what age group actually comes here) -_- (you guys sounds much MUCH older than i am!!!)

It's really not that bad

Yes it is Thursday, but in no way was it Wednesday.

On Wednesday, the Unicorn would be telling the truth, so for him to say he lied the day before would be false because he is truthful on Tuesdays (the day before weds ;) ) and therefore Wednesday would not fit the parameters of the problem.