BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Brothers and sisters, it is time to stand united and strike a blow for making the world a better place! Let's identify all the little things that are wrong with the world and have a good rant about them, then maybe the Powers That Be will sit up and take notice (or perhaps not).

Like central locking systems on cars, for instance. Why is it that when you press the button to unlock it you hear the clunk telling you it's unlocked but if you don't wait another second before pulling on the door handle the door stays locked! Whats that all about? Is it some kind of punishment for being hasty? And washing machines, too. You've started a wash and then you decide to stop it and open the door (cos you left some tissues in the pocket of the trousers you're washing, say). That's what you want to do, so why do you have to wait 2 minutes before it will let you do it? Either it's full of water or it aint, and if it aint then what's the problem? Does the machine release little demons to help remove stains, and they need to be exorcised before opening the door so they don't get out and cause trouble?

And milk cartons that just glup milk all over themselves and you and the table instead of pouring it. How's that still possible in the 21st century?

Oh and don't get me started on bowls. What is it with bowls? I'm speaking of the crockery variety you use for soup or breakfast cereal or whatever. The point of a bowl is it's a receptacle for holding liquids, hence it needs to go up at the sides a bit more than, say, a plate would. How do the designers of bowls keep forgetting this fact? Either they make them with a tiny piddling little indentation in the middle so it holds nothing, or they have edges at the shallowest angle imaginable so you can't possibly move your bowl of soup from A to B without slopping it everywhere. Is this some great design principle? That we must suffer for our crockery in the name of elegance? How elegant can a person be with soup all over them?

...and breathe. Someone else's turn.

• Answers 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Can we switch? Arizona is warm...and I can't stand the snow... >.<

<(^-^)>

Definitely! If you don't mind your state's only defining feature being a really big hole in the ground ;) The snow would actually be kinda fun. Although I did catch pneumonia from snow once....

Oh! That reminds me of a rant I have: I hate being sick. I know everyone does, but I think I'm sick right now - "think" because I've been coughing for about 10 days but I have no other symptoms. I mean, really coughing. I woke up this morning and coughed, and it hurt my sides because of how much I've been doing that motion over the past week and half. Blech.

Yeah! Where does the logic come in? I have given up urging my friends to stop smoking, you know it can be harmful so why smoke? If I ask them the reason, they say it's cool. For the hell of it, I cannot understand where the logic comes in. <_<

I wonder how many Braindenizens are smoking... if any??

Today an unbelievable thing happened at work (there was a chemistry competition at school) anyway... one of the teachers said "I don't wanna smoke here, I don't want to cause any inconvenience to the nonsmokers".

I dropped my jaw! That was the first time in my adult life (well as far as I can remember) that someone said that they don't want to bother the nonsmokers. I was speechless! :o

It's pretty sad that we always need to remind those chimney people that they shouldn't puff their smoke around those that find that repugnant and sometimes they even get pissed off when we remind them. Now that's what really pisses me off!!! <_<

Yeah! Where does the logic come in? I have given up urging my friends to stop smoking, you know it can be harmful so why smoke? If I ask them the reason, they say it's cool. For the hell of it, I cannot understand where the logic comes in. <_<

I actually didn't think there was anyone still around with the lack of braincells needed to think smoking was cool. No offence to your friends GC though. Having asthma, smoking has always bothered me, but the government here have done the first good decision in their history by introducing a smoking ban in any workplace. Now anytime I go out, cafés, pubs, clubs, the air is lovely and clean. When I'm abroad somewhere without a smoking ban, it's a real noticeable difference.

Thankfully, I haven't experienced it yet where my friends feel the need to be 'cool', and I don't think I ever will. Half my friends could care less about what other people think. The other half doesn't even notice what other people think. ;)

However, on the topic of smoking: My friend's mom smokes, and I find it stupid. She can quit, I know she can - when she was pregnant with my friend's little sister, she quit - but then she started smoking again. If you've managed to not smoke for 9 months, don't you think you can quit smoking altogether?

Agreed CPB! At least my friends have learned not to smoke in front of me. A considerable step that. :rolleyes:

No offense taken JS. There's a ban here too, but what happens here is the law-enforcers themselves don't follow their own rules. So follow the leader...

You have got some good friends Kay, but I will not let my friends down so easily. Where they find smoking cool, they don't find smoking in front of girls cool. :lol: And the number of girls smoking in India, is considerably less, although on the rise. So here I am talking only about boys.

I wonder how many Braindenizens are smoking... if any??

Today an unbelievable thing happened at work (there was a chemistry competition at school) anyway... one of the teachers said "I don't wanna smoke here, I don't want to cause any inconvenience to the nonsmokers".

I dropped my jaw! That was the first time in my adult life (well as far as I can remember) that someone said that they don't want to bother the nonsmokers. I was speechless! :o

It's pretty sad that we always need to remind those chimney people that they shouldn't puff their smoke around those that find that repugnant and sometimes they even get pissed off when we remind them. Now that's what really pisses me off!!! <_<

Where are these conciderate people?...when I wuz pregnant wid my gurl, I wuz sitting on a bench outside a store and someone came and stood upwind of me with a lit cigarette...I wuz like 7 months pregnant, and when I asked them to please move to the other side of the bench they blew smoke in my face and laughed... <_<