BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Question

Brothers and sisters, it is time to stand united and strike a blow for making the world a better place! Let's identify all the little things that are wrong with the world and have a good rant about them, then maybe the Powers That Be will sit up and take notice (or perhaps not).

Like central locking systems on cars, for instance. Why is it that when you press the button to unlock it you hear the clunk telling you it's unlocked but if you don't wait another second before pulling on the door handle the door stays locked! Whats that all about? Is it some kind of punishment for being hasty? And washing machines, too. You've started a wash and then you decide to stop it and open the door (cos you left some tissues in the pocket of the trousers you're washing, say). That's what you want to do, so why do you have to wait 2 minutes before it will let you do it? Either it's full of water or it aint, and if it aint then what's the problem? Does the machine release little demons to help remove stains, and they need to be exorcised before opening the door so they don't get out and cause trouble?

And milk cartons that just glup milk all over themselves and you and the table instead of pouring it. How's that still possible in the 21st century?

Oh and don't get me started on bowls. What is it with bowls? I'm speaking of the crockery variety you use for soup or breakfast cereal or whatever. The point of a bowl is it's a receptacle for holding liquids, hence it needs to go up at the sides a bit more than, say, a plate would. How do the designers of bowls keep forgetting this fact? Either they make them with a tiny piddling little indentation in the middle so it holds nothing, or they have edges at the shallowest angle imaginable so you can't possibly move your bowl of soup from A to B without slopping it everywhere. Is this some great design principle? That we must suffer for our crockery in the name of elegance? How elegant can a person be with soup all over them?

...and breathe. Someone else's turn.

• Answers 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Oh, we really needed this topic >_<+

What is with SNOW? It's the most useless, miserable excuse for weather I've ever had the displeasure to have caught in my boots. I mean, Rain helps plants grow, everyone loves sun, wind is nice for a warm day, but SNOW? It's just cold rain that is extremely heavy to shovel, gets stuck to everything, and can be shaped into snowballs and chucked at your head...More later...XD

<(^-^)>

Edited by Kathleen

I know it's for safety, but my mom's car has this constant beeping noise if every seatbelt in the car isn't buckeled. I mean it's common sense to buckle up if your going to drive! It beeps even if its just my back-up sitting there or my favorite, it'll beep when no one's sitting there. And its not a quiet monotone beep, its the one that goes off it someones trying to break in.

Oh, has anyone ever noticed on some of the waterbottles that say bottled at the spring and then on the back it says reverse osmosis? It's just purified tap water.

**The names are real ones, but dont pay worry about the names. It's just to vent.

OK, being a middle schooler, i hate the fashion and the popularity of it all.

I hate how Janelle tricked me today, i mean i think jake is really annoying so she says that his drink was hers, and how he didn't finish it and that i can have it. I mean, she's one of my best friends, and she KNOWS how much i *hate* jake! And everyone hates her, and now i see why, i mean, she thinks that she had MILLIONS of friends, but either way, she needs to cool down.

Ok - thanks. I needed that a LOT!!

**The names are real ones, but dont pay worry about the names. It's just to vent.

OK, being a middle schooler, i hate the fashion and the popularity of it all.

I hate how Janelle tricked me today, i mean i think jake is really annoying so she says that his drink was hers, and how he didn't finish it and that i can have it. I mean, she's one of my best friends, and she KNOWS how much i *hate* jake! And everyone hates her, and now i see why, i mean, she thinks that she had MILLIONS of friends, but either way, she needs to cool down.

Ok - thanks. I needed that a LOT!!

*Hands cup of tea* Wait till you get to High School >_<+ It's worse...excuse me...*clears throat*

I HATE how people can be so...so...so...selfish, shallow and stupid...>_<++ Most of the people in my Grade are failing their classes and couldn't CARE because it's more important that Mason is dating Claire for the third time...does it not matter to anyone that these classes can decide the rest of their LIVES? How well you do stays on your records for when you go to University? That's if they even get there... <_< I mean, who's gonna care who was the top of the social food chain when we're all out in the world making our mark, and getting jobs? I certainly won't...coming from a Private School, all this social stuff was so new and weird...in my old school, no one REALLY cared about who was dating who, or the latest all out war between cliques...High School is such a slap in the face o.O

<(^-^)>

I would like to rant about people with no bathroom ettiquette. They usually don't flush after themselves. They don't wash their hands. They litter up the floor. They all stink badly and if one of you are reading this then, poop on you! :P <_<

:lol: I have to agree with you there XD

<(^-^)>

You know what i hate. people who make generalizations like I mean seriously couldn't people at least say "Most boys are slobs" cuz i know i'm not an avg boy.

no offense izzy just popped into my head while reading.

You just reminded me how stupid stereotypes are, I absolutely hate it when people generalize an entire group of people, say, teenagers. And make a comment that might describe maybe 1/32 of them. People, a warning for you: PLEASE do not stereotype things around me, or I will go phycho :angry:

Am I allowed to rant politically octopuppy? :blush:
Hey, you can rant about whatever you like as far as I'm concerned. Of course it's a given that all politicians are self-serving incompetent power-hungry crooks. Not that I'm generalizing about a group of people, that's just the job description.

Oh, we really needed this topic >_<+
So glad you thought so...
What is with SNOW? It's the most useless, miserable excuse for weather I've ever had the displeasure to have caught in my boots. I mean, Rain helps plants grow, everyone loves sun, wind is nice for a warm day, but SNOW? It's just cold rain that is extremely heavy to shovel, gets stuck to everything, and can be shaped into snowballs and chucked at your head...More later...XD
...WHOA THERE!!! You're dissing snow!?! :o That's not acceptable. Snow is only a problem if you're not skiing, and quite frankly what we do when we're not skiing is unimportant. Clearly you have never experienced english weather, which is continuous drizzle 24/365. That's what I call miserable. If it's going to rain, fine, rain and get it over with. But drizzle is just a way of spinning it out to make it last longer. Snow, on the other hand, is fun. Take that snowball to the head and enjoy it, snow is part of nature's wondrous bounty!

the bowl must be an English thing, I've never seen a platelike bowl :huh:
I might have known Americans would have solved this problem. Not a nation to let crockery get between you and your food, and good for you! In America, the consumer is king (whereas in Europe, the consumer is a pathetic cap-wringing feudal serf which is why we have stupid bowls and expensive petrol)

I would like to rant about people with no bathroom ettiquette. They usually don't flush after themselves. They don't wash their hands. They litter up the floor. They all stink badly and if one of you are reading this then, poop on you! :P <_<
Tell me about it. Yesterday I got the toilets so clean you could eat your dinner out of them (especially if you've got soup since at least it won't spill out of that bowl). Then my 4-year old boy came home and not only left a turd stinking in the toilet without flushing but also smeared half of it on the seat. What is it with 4-year-olds? Why don't they just grow up?

Looks like octopuppy needs a BA course in domestic science

I'll rant after my hosting is done... I'll be so up for 4it

smiley_16.gif

I'll help...

HATE cellphones. Well, not really. I find mine quite useful. I like being able to text quick questions to my wife during work, so we don't have to interrupt each other. I dislike that I've become dependant upon them, but such is modern life. I do HATE the culture that has developed around them. Allow me to count the ways...

1) Standing in line/queue, talking loudly on the cellphone, ignoring the rest of us peacful citizens around them. Also, not hanging up when it's your turn (or, answering while you're at the clerk :angry: )

2) NOT turning the cellphone off while at the library/theater/cinema/restauraunt, etc!! You've had one for years. It's not a new idea that they should be turned off at these times. WHY DO YOU STILL EVEN NEED A REMINDER?? You NEVER forget to check it immediately after the movie/meal/show, etc.

3) NOT using any of the multitude of hands-free options available when driving, even after it's been proven (ok, it was Mythbusters, but it was a convincing episode) that driving and using the cellphone is as dangerous as drinking and driving!

4) NOT taking the stupid looking bluetooth headseat out of your ear when you aren't driving. Not only do you look like a looney chatting away with your hands waving to no one, but when you do try to have a conversation with an acutal person, face to face, they have to repeat themselves because you have something blocking up your ear!!

5) Texting. <_< It is there to make communication possible when an actual phone call is impractical/impolite. (see #1) It is NOT intended to be used while driving! It is NOT intended to pass notes in class! It is NOT intended to be used between two people sitting in the same room!! It is NOT intended to replace actual conversation!!!!! Oh, and #2 applies to texting as well. <_<

6) Ringtones... :angry::angry::angry: I don't want to stand next to you in line/queue (see #1 again) and be forced to listen to some obnoxious song that I wouldn't listen to given a choice. This one is a violation of my personal freedom and I find it especially irksome... This leads me to....

7) We've established that you shouldn't answer the phone when it is inapropriate (#1,#2,#5). On the other side of that, every cellphone I've ever owned had a way to "ignore" or quiet the ringtone, so that it only shatters the tranquility for a second or two. Learn the button, USE the button, LOVE the button.

8) NOT knowing where your phone is. It's your tether. You can't stand in line/queue without using it,(#1) so why, when you're at the library/restauraunt/cinema (remember #2) and you forgot to turn it off again, can't you remember which pocket/purse/hand you left it in? This baffles me. :wacko:

I hope I didn't steal LIS's thunder on this topic. (assuming that is where that spoiler was headed.)

Good topic Octopuppy. This one should see a lot of mileage.

edit: corrected some spelling, then gave up.

Edited by Grayven

Okay, so this is the fourth day Isaac has left his gross dirty clothes all over the bathroom. Washcloth in the shower. Used my hairbrush. (Possibly my toothbrush?! I dunno.. It was wet this morning..) Arg. I miss living by myself. :( Boys are such slobs.
Only the spoilt ones with a big sister that will do it when mum says or can't stand to leave it and longer. And a mum that can't do enough for the little soldier.

Yeah graven was one of the bigges - I ran my office form a cell phone. I thought at times I was home with the family - but I was at home with the phone actually. Took me two weeks to prior it out of my hand when I stopped working - now I couldn't care for it

Cell - 10 Jay walking is up by huge amounts - people stepping on to the road while on the phone

*Hands cup of tea* Wait till you get to High School >_<+ It's worse...excuse me...*clears throat*

I HATE how people can be so...so...so...selfish, shallow and stupid...>_<++ Most of the people in my Grade are failing their classes and couldn't CARE because it's more important that Mason is dating Claire for the third time...does it not matter to anyone that these classes can decide the rest of their LIVES? How well you do stays on your records for when you go to University? That's if they even get there... <_< I mean, who's gonna care who was the top of the social food chain when we're all out in the world making our mark, and getting jobs? I certainly won't...coming from a Private School, all this social stuff was so new and weird...in my old school, no one REALLY cared about who was dating who, or the latest all out war between cliques...High School is such a slap in the face o.O

<(^-^)>

As you are moving through middle school and high school, be sure to develop good study habits and maintain them when you go to college as well. Do not just focus on the grades and content of the courses. I easily acheived almost straight As thoroughout high school, but hardly did any homework or studying and slept through most of my classes. The content just came very easily to me. However, when I got to college I realized that I did not know how to study or pay attention during lectures. Luckily, my grades did not suffer too much, but I still struggle with it. It is much more difficult to improve my writing, communication skills and studying habits now that I am older, when compared to my time in high school.

What's up with bikes and their small seats... I have blisters on my hiney! <_<

I have a cell, but most of the time we ignore each other -_-

I hate people throwing garbage on the street when the bin is just few feet away... actually even if the next bin was few miles away they still shouldn't throw garbage... I'm psycho pissed when I see that! :mad: :mad:

Oh... and puffing cigarette smoke in my face *cough* :mad:

I find eating while standing in a line/queue more annoying than talking on the cell! :huh:

Edited by andromeda

I find eating while standing in a line/queue more annoying than talking on the cell! :huh:

Unless you're at an amusement park, then it would be inhumane to make someone stand in line for 3 hours without sustenance! :P

Don't even get me started on inconsiderate smokers... <_<

I hate technology that tries to make our lives better but instead only makes our lives easier. NOT THE SAME THING!

I miss the days that we walked where we needed to go instead of hopping in a car to drive a few blocks.

I hate that I love videogames. Videogames have really negatively affected my life. I will be carefull to pay attention to my children's habits concerning them.

I miss the days that I felt comfortable and safe to be a 10 year old riding my bike around the neighborhoods and down the street. Do places like this still exist?

I hate that I have no clear idea what to do with my life and the only options that seem plausible for my interests do not fit with my experience.

I hate that I have a firm belief that the Christian God exists, which I cannot change even if I try to, yet have no concrete evidence to give anyone, not even myself, and have serious problems with most every church, doctrine, denomination that I have seen. I also believe that the bible holds truth, yet do not believe that the entire thing is true, and believe that it does not claim to be. <_<

I hate that I work all day and do not see a direct association of work performed to my families survival. I do not work to hunt my own food or build my own shelter, I work at a job I probably do not like for money which I use to buy these things.

I hate 40 hr work weeks and 8 hour work days. Routine bordem which takes me away from my family.

I hate that people in this world make this a world in which people do not trust or take care of one another. Sometimes I do something good just because it is good, I am not trying to get something out of the situation.

I hate being afraid to speak my thoughts because I know that people will either take them the wrong way or not take consideration of what I have said. There may be some thoughts that I have which sound off the wall, crazy, ridiculous or just wrong, but I wish I knew people could take them and think about them.

I hate it when the lady/man at the front of the restaraunt asks us to be seated in the smoking or non-smoking sections, reply no, and end up sitting not in the smoking area but right infront of the entrance. I mean seriously?

HATE cellphones.
Oh yeah! Actually I hate phones in general. I know you need communications and all that, but I've always felt that telephones are a bit of an imposition. Imagine if you were feeding your baby or taking a pee or talking to somebody or deep in thought, and somebody just walked unannounced into the room, stood right in front of you and shouted "HELLO! HELLO! STOP WHAT YOU'RE DOING! I WANT YOUR ATTENTION! NOW!!!" You might consider that a bit rude. But that's exactly what a telephone does. Of course the answering machine is the antidote to that so a big up for answering machines.

In other words telephones place an undue priority on remote communications which overrides what is going on around you, and when people start buying into that, that's when they get really annoying. I used to have an accountant who, if his phone rang in the middle of a meeting, would instantly raise his finger dismissively at me (cutting me off in mid-sentence), pick up the phone and then ignore me for the next five minutes while prattling away to whoever had called. I don't think he even realised how rude that was.

But all sorts of people do that. How many people do you know who would absolutely refuse to interrupt the flow of a phone conversation even if the house was burning down? I remember a few years back hearing on the news about a truck driver convicted for killing a pedestrian because he was texting his girlfriend. Normally that would be hard to prove, but after his truck struck the pedestrian, dragging him along the road, the first thing he did was to finish and send the text message he had been composing (it ended with the words "s***! Call you back.") Is it just me or do some people have their priorities wrong?

I don't think the police do nearly enough to clamp down on mobile phone usage in cars (and even more so, delivery vans and trucks). You can see people doing it everywhere. Why aren't they being stopped and fined? The fines would easily pay for the cost of that. If you could be sure that the only people they kill are the ones jaywalking while chatting on the phone it might not be so bad, but alas it could be anybody.