Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lion and Unicorn II.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#11 wdimplez

wdimplez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:49 AM

The person who came up with the solution for this is WRONG!!!

The lion lies every Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and the other days he speaks the truth.
Lion said: Yesterday I was lying and two days after tomorrow I will be lying again.

People are expecting the lion to be telling the truth in this statement, when in fact, the only way to make the statement true, is to assuse that what the Lion is NOT speaking the truth. (Take everything the Lion says to mean the opposite.)

The answer is Monday
He was actually speaking the truth yesterday (Sunday) as well two days after tomorrow(two days after Tomorrow [tomorrow being Tuesday] is Thursday), therefore.... Today is Monday, a day that the Lion lies!

#12 akademy

akademy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 10:33 AM

I would say Monday too, we need a specific day for the answer.

However, Why does the puzzle include a Unicorn as he plays no part.

I think I more interesting question would be:
Which day did the lion say this, and did the Unicorn agree with the lions statement?

#13 dVs

dVs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 02:15 PM

i'm surprised that no one considered the semantic argument... when we are informed that the lion lies on monday, tuesday, and wednesday, we cannot be certain this fact describes a propensity toward fibbing, as all here have assumed, or merely a state of recumbency. homonyms, anyone?

#14 Vshooo

Vshooo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 06:50 PM

The correct answer can only be Monday, especially when considering the laws of logic (I took a class on this, so hopefully I would know. The concept that the statement is only considered true when all parts of it are true (A ^ B.) is only accurate on a day when the lion is only telling the truth. This is because we assume that on a day when the lion is telling truth, A means A. However, on a day when the lion is only telling a lie (or the opposite of the truth), then we must assume that A actually means ~A (not A). So whereas on a truth day we are looking for both A and B to be true (A ^ B.), on a lying day we are in reality looking for everything to be NOT the truth, therefore we are actually looking for (~A ^ ~B.) to be true. This is only fulfilled on a Monday. (A ^ B.) is never fulfilled, so the only possible day is Monday.

#15 LadySixela

LadySixela

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:21 PM

Monday

#16 savagegamer90

savagegamer90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:43 PM

I agree with rookie1ja, I think a statement is false as long as one part of the statement is false, however if it was said in two different sentences then the only answer could be monday.

#17 Turtlefeet

Turtlefeet

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:14 PM

I am agreeing with the answer being Monday. I may not have a big long drawn out answer from logic classes with A's and B's and stuff. But the lion has to say this statement on a day he lies. "Yesterday, i lied and two days after tomorrow I will lie again." Yesterday (being Sunday, which he speaks the truth) so lying fits (because it's Monday) and then two days after tomorrow (which is Thursday, a day he tells the truth) "I will lie again" is also a lie.

And I think they throw in a unicorn and days he lies and tells the truth to throw the people off because they will look to deeply into trying to get the answer. The question was only about what day the lion said the statement, which clearly has nothing to do with the Unicorn.

#18 Aldoweb

Aldoweb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:16 PM

It looks like Monday is the correct solution but it isn't.
I have to agree with rookie1ja.
The lion said the phrase in one sentence. It mean that he can say that sentence on a Tuesday.
Example:
Consider me a liar.

I didn't eat the pig yesterday infact i'm eating it right now.

In reality I'm not eating a pig right now so it means that the sentence is false.
Does this means that I eat a pig yesterday ????!!!!

#19 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5564 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:41 PM

My head says any lying day; my heart says Monday.

What does the unicorn have to do with this?
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#20 oeotheriox8

oeotheriox8

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 05:55 PM

the answer HAS to be monday because if it was tuesday and he said "i was lying yesterday" then he would be telling the truth (because monday is a lying day) and he does not tell the truth on tuesdays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users