Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Jrod_Writer13

Jrod_Writer13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:30 PM

I just happened to notice that there are a lot of kids on here still in school (middle, high school, college, etc.) and I thought it would be a great idea to have a section about Homework Help. People could post lets say a math problem, and the BD community could tell them how to do it. I found this very affective on Yahoo! Answers, which I think by bringing it to BrainDen would make BD grow and also more resourceful. (not saying it isnt already :) ). Plus, I am one of those kids in school, and I know there are some very intellegent people on here (well duh... :rolleyes: ), and it would come in handy for me especially. What do you guys think?

Here is a link to the forum on Yahoo! Answers about homework help, so you can see how it works. :)

Edited by Jrod_Writer13, 13 January 2009 - 01:31 PM.

#2 Prince_Marth85

Prince_Marth85

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1405 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

Well...As long as people don't come on here to have BD basically do their homework for them, :lol: then that seems like an interesting idea.

#3 Lexi*penguin

Lexi*penguin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:29 PM

That would be a BIG help!

#4 Impervious

Impervious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2413 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:30 PM

Actually I think that's an awesome idea. The kinds on her that are around the same age range my have some of the same questions so by one asking it, those who may feel silly for asking the same question will get their answer too. There are enough of us on here who are very knowledgeable in all subjects that I don't see why we couldn't offer our help to the younger generation. :)

#5 Lexi*penguin

Lexi*penguin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:32 PM

Actually I think that's an awesome idea. The kinds on her that are around the same age range my have some of the same questions so by one asking it, those who may feel silly for asking the same question will get their answer too. There are enough of us on here who are very knowledgeable in all subjects that I don't see why we couldn't offer our help to the younger generation. :)

And us kids offering our help to the older generation! ;)

#6 andromeda

andromeda

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3699 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

I'm against it because it could easily go out of control.

The only thing they might need help with is math and physics, maybe chemistry, everything else they can easily find by googling.

But... I'm against it.

#7 Izzy

Izzy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3054 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 03:35 PM

Haha, that's awesome. I usually go to my teachers for BD help though. :P

#8 guest_7314

guest_7314

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

Shouldn't this be in 'Comments and Suggestions'?

#9 UKJon

UKJon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:55 PM

I'm against it because it could easily go out of control.

The only thing they might need help with is math and physics, maybe chemistry, everything else they can easily find by googling.

But... I'm against it.

I agree that it could go out of control on a board that hasn't got watchful moderators. I hope Brainden moderators will be up to the task if implemented (I have little reason to doubt that they will be up to the task).

Maths and science answers could also be found by googling. I think that it could work if the student opened a thread (after making sure it hasn't been posted before) by saying, "I've got this problem with my homework.........., I've found the answer is..........., but I don't understand why." (This could easily be the job of the teachers I suppose.) Rather than a post simply asking for the answer.

I'm sure that asking for help on a debatable matter could end up nasty / confusing / not end at all! However, only the most basic of maths and science is undisputable. E.g. How do you spell 'Colour'? ;)

Personally, I think that it shows willing on behalf of the student if they are looking to their on-line friends for help with school. I would not like to stand in the way of that. I'm not sure any academic establishment will accept Brainden (worthy as it may be) a suitable source for homework though. :(

#10 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 06:07 PM

there are a couple controversies in math that people like to argue over, like 0^0 and the truism .99999999999[forever] = 1, which some people aren't able to understand :) But for the most part math is absolute, yeah. And this topic should def be moved to 'Comments and Suggestions' ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users