Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

an intolerable conundrum

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5811 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:08 PM

I am a tolerant person.

What should be my reaction when I encounter intolerance?

[1] Tolerate it, since I am a tolerant person; thus condoning something I do not believe in.
[2] Not tolerate it, since it goes against my beliefs; thus ceasing to be a tolerant person.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#2 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 11:22 PM

tolerate it.
cuz if you're tolerant. You'll tolerate someone else's beliefs

#3 TheChaos92

TheChaos92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 12:40 AM

tolerate it for the same reson above

#4 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 05:32 AM

This might be better set up as a tolerant zealot. A zealot would have a very hard time not advocating for their point of veiw.

#5 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5811 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:49 PM

This might be better set up as a tolerant zealot. A zealot would have a very hard time not advocating for their point of veiw.

How would he face intolerance?
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#6 nishuonly

nishuonly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 07:59 PM

I am a tolerant person.

you are contradicting yourself in the question. How can you encounter intolerance if you are tolerant at the first place?

#7 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:21 PM

I am a tolerant person.

you are contradicting yourself in the question. How can you encounter intolerance if you are tolerant at the first place?

Why can't a tolerant person encounter someone who isn't tolerant? That would be what encountering intolerance means.

#8 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5811 posts

Posted 23 October 2007 - 09:24 PM

I am a tolerant person.

By encountering people.

Not all people in the world are tolerant people.

A tolerant person might meet a person that is not tolerant.
And it may be impossible to simply walk away.

For example
[a] business colleague
[b] family member
- Bertrand Russell

#9 cpotting

cpotting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:20 PM

I am a tolerant person.

[1] Tolerate it, since I am a tolerant person; thus condoning something I do not believe in.
[2] Not tolerate it, since it goes against my beliefs; thus ceasing to be a tolerant person.

I would say that "tolerance need not breed inaction". One can be tolerant and yet still direct/chide/teach/discipline.

To take it to an extreme, to be tolerant would not mean that one would suffer seeing a murder and just "let the murderer be, for that is his/her way". No one would fault a tolerant person for reporting this to the police (even if you ignore the "social obligation" to report it).

Likewise, to be tolerant would not mean that you can't say anything if you meet someone who believes that... everyone who isn't a cloud-worshiper is scum-of-the-earth and should be flogged. You can still say "I believe you are wrong - and here's why". Being tolerant means that if the cloud-worshiper calls you a blasphemer and curses you with 20 days of rain then you wish them well with their beliefs and remind them that you would report them to the authorities if you suspected that they have been flogging people.

In other words, to tolerate intolerance is not, in my opinion, "condoning something I do not believe in".

#10 nishuonly

nishuonly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 04:46 PM

I am a tolerant person.

Why can't a tolerant person encounter someone who isn't tolerant? That would be what encountering intolerance means.

Encountering intolerant person doesn't mean you are encountering intolerance. I would take intolerance as an implicit quality of a person, not "the situation" created by some circumstances. If you face (i would say feel) intolerance you are not tolerant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users