BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

Hello and 2 riddles

Question

Hello guys!

Here are my riddles. I hope you enjoy them.

A hunter is hunting for bears. He spots one at the edge of a cliff. The cliff is w metres high. He is x metres away from the bear. He shoots at the bear. The bullet travels at y metres/second. After the bullet hits the bear, the bear falls off the cliff after z seconds.

Keep in mind that the values for distance,velocity and time are extremely accurate.

What color is the bear?

Some info are there to confuse you.You only need the height of the cliff and the time it took the dead bear to hit the ground.

You can use the free drop acceleration formula to calculate the gravitational pull

d=1/2.g.t^2

d=height of cliff

t=time it took the bear to drop to the ground.

Knowing that the value of the gravitational pull varies at the equator and the poles (9.789 m·s?2 at the equator to 9.832 m·s?2 at the poles) then if the value of g is close to 9.789 then the hunter was hunting at one of the poles and the bear would be a polar bear, hence white.

If the value was between those two above, then if would be a brown bear(no bears at the equator).

Next riddle is a kind of silly riddle:

Assuming that Earth is a sphere of ice, then how can you get to the north pole?(It has nothing to do with means of transportation.Just looking for a way to figure out how I can be sure that I m going to reach the north pole)

First two spoilers are hints

Suppose you know where the south pole is

You can only travel in straight lines.That means you cant swerve while traveling.You have to stop and make a turn(rotate) and then continue on a straight line

Next spoiler is the solution

Just go to the south pole and head anywhere

5 answers to this question

I sat and read your bear puzzle about 3 times looking for something to tell me that it was at a polar region or something. There is nothing in your puzzle to suggest that "g" is 9-.-anything. We need to know what "w" is, and we need to know how long it took the bear to fall to the ground through the distance "w". Otherwise we'd never conclude that the bear is any color.

the riddles themselves lack the necessary information.

and in order to find out where the north pole is on a spherical globe covered in ice you would spend one entire day in one spot. watch the sun rise and set. next day you would travel north...you would keep traveling in this direction until there was no sun rise or sunset.

I enjoyed your riddles. I think the first is too problematic to really work, but the second is good.

There are too many local variations of gravity to make the gravitational measurement method valid. For example, an iron ore concentration could make local gravity higher than a nearby (100 miles away) region, while a large underground lake could make it lower. (On the moon, such regional gravitational variations are caused by dense bodies the astronauts called "mascons".) You would have to posit a perfectly homogenous globe that nevertheless rotated and showed rotational bulging...at which point you've pretty much given away the solution to anyone who understands gravitational physics. Those who don't know about gravity wouldn't understand the riddle, anyway, so it would be lost on them.

The ice globe one is promising. I think it needs to be a bit better explained, something like:

"You are standing on a perfectly spherical planet completely covered with smooth, level, featureless ice. You have located the south pole and marked it with a stick. You have an icemobile that can travel only in a perfectly straight line (straight along the globe's surface, that is -- the shortest distance along the globe between any two points). You can turn, of course, but you can't plot out and follow any sort of curved path. You have no other means of navigation or conveyance, and unfortunately your radio and signal gear are broken. Your mother ship is watching for you at the exact north pole, and nowhere else. If you can just manage to cross the north pole, the mother ship will track you and retrieve you. How do you get back to the ship?"

I believe the whole point of the first riddle was that you put your own number in for the equation, thus the answer varies, however, then you would know the answer without actually doing the math, because the bear would be whatever color you want it to be...

The second one is ...creative I guess, However, the Earth is not a sphere, it is an oblate-spheroid, slightly smooshed ( yes that's the scientific term) at the poles.

Therefore, if the entire planet were one solid, you could walk in any direction and you would eventually reach the North pole, no matter how cold, or hungry, or old you are...

I believe your riddles have some potential as they are science-based, which I deeply respect, you simply need to be sure that you are providing the reader with all the neccesarry info.