Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Boil this egg for exactly 3 minutes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:34 AM

You want to boil a perfect 3-minute egg.

For a timer, you have only two 4-minute fuses, that do not burn at an even rate.

Can you have breakfast without a runny [or overly hard] egg?
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#2 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 09:30 AM

I think that

Spoiler for solution

#3 aforsy

aforsy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:08 PM

Here's my cheating solution: In my experience, a 3-minute egg will still be runny.

#4 slmo

slmo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 12:36 AM

I think you light one fuse (Fuse A) on both ends and Fuse B on one end simultaneously. Once Fuse A has completely burned to the middle, 2 minutes have passed. Fuse B should have also burned for 2 minutes, so it will have 2 minutes left. Then light the unburned end of Fuse B while it's still burning in the middle and it should burn out in 1 minute, totalling 3 minutes in all. The only question I have is if this solution requires 2 identical fuses of even burn time, or if it will work as stated in the problem, 2 different fuses with uneven burn rates. I'll try to find a mathematical solution and edit later

#5 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5313 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 05:33 AM

I think you light one fuse (Fuse A) on both ends and Fuse B on one end simultaneously. Once Fuse A has completely burned to the middle, 2 minutes have passed. Fuse B should have also burned for 2 minutes, so it will have 2 minutes left. Then light the unburned end of Fuse B while it's still burning in the middle and it should burn out in 1 minute, totalling 3 minutes in all. The only question I have is if this solution requires 2 identical fuses of even burn time, or if it will work as stated in the problem, 2 different fuses with uneven burn rates. I'll try to find a mathematical solution and edit later

No it doesn't.
All they need to do is burn completely in the specified time.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#6 Taidaishar

Taidaishar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:09 PM

You want to boil a perfect 3-minute egg.

For a timer, you have only two 4-minute fuses, that do not burn at an even rate.

Can you have breakfast without a runny [or overly hard] egg?

I didn't read any of the solutions or spoilers before this, so this will be going from scratch:

Light both fuses, one from both ends and one from one end. When the one that you lit from both ends burns out, 2 minutes will have elapsed. At that point, 2 minutes will have burned off of the other fuse also leaving 2 minutes to burn. Now, light the OTHER fuse from the other end and the 2 minutes that are left will burn in 1 minute giving you a total of 3. YAY!

#7 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:30 PM

nice ... the same principle is applied in the following brain teaser called Igniter Cords

and if you like that type of puzzles, be sure to check the following pouring water and weighing puzzles

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users