Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Coins

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
83 replies to this topic

#61 Talent

Talent

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:20 PM

How can it be a truthful statement if it has not occured?

but he could say the hell you are and then you get nothing.

He could do a lot of things, there are not enough parameters on the puzzle. Therefore logic is flawed as no logic exists.

Edited by Talent, 26 March 2008 - 09:22 PM.

#62 rdmsacto

rdmsacto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:39 AM

How about; Give me (using the imperitive) the coin of gold or I will put my musket twixt your eyes. This negates the negative reasoning and assures the gold coin. I have it on some authority this reasoning was quite successful during the 17th and 18th centuries, following later into the 19th. 20th, and some reports as to its use even today.

#63 rdmsacto

rdmsacto

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:42 AM

Perhaps as we blog.

#64 sunshipballoons

sunshipballoons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

Coins - Back to the Logic Problems
Imagine there are 3 coins on the table. Gold, silver and copper. If you say a truthful sentence, you will get one coin. If you say a false sentence, you get nothing. Which sentence can guarantee gaining the gold coin?

Spoiler for Solution

Once again, statements predicting future behavior of others are neither truth nor lie. This solution fails.

#65 brain not brawn

brain not brawn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 April 2008 - 07:05 AM

say to the person "you will give me the coin if the sentence is true"
:D

#66 skirider

skirider

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 05:22 AM

say to the person "you will give me the coin if the sentence is true"
:D

Once again this statement wont guarentee the gold coin. By the way, what coin do you mean by "the coin"?
:P

#67 Bryan adams

Bryan adams

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 12:55 AM

hi buddy this was really very interesting and funny, first you show me the coins after that i will say wat to do.....
and i need some more information about "DOUBLE EAGLE" Gold coins if anyone knows answer for this please reply for my post
========================================
Bryan Adams
========================================
Everyone knows the value of the US Dollar is going down - the only thing that keeps its value is metals - In the early 1900's and ounce of Gold bought a real nice suit - Gold then was around $20 an ounce. Today that same Ounce of Gold Will buy a real nice suit but that $20 would maybe get you a nice tie.

To fight off inflation everyone should be purchasing Gold and Silver in some form - Gold Coins - Silver Coins or bullion / bars

#68 mattkonczal13

mattkonczal13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:02 PM

i would say "You're not going to give me all the coins." I'm not sure if that would work.

yeah or just say "1+1=2"

you could do that, but it just says you get A coin. It doesn't guarantee the Gold coin. think about it.

#69 gramminator

gramminator

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 02:04 PM

Coins - Back to the Logic Problems
Imagine there are 3 coins on the table. Gold, silver and copper. If you say a truthful sentence, you will get one coin. If you say a false sentence, you get nothing. Which sentence can guarantee gaining the gold coin?

Spoiler for Solution

"An answer will get me a coin"

#70 gnassy

gnassy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 10:17 PM

Frozen: You have to assume that everything that the problem states is true actually is true.

From that, assume you do in fact say "you will give me neither the silver nor the copper coin." If you are not given any coins, then what you said is true; getting nothing means you didn't get silver and you didn't get copper. But the problem says that if you say a true statement, you will be given one of the coins. So it can't be the case that you weren't given any coins, because it produces a contradiction.

ans: they are three coins on the table. it can be any sentence, once its the truth, do i get a coin?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users