Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Farmer Templeton's Goat

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 Grayven

Grayven

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1200 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

It is not the rope that impedes the goat, it is the silo. As the goat, on the end of its rope so as to stretch it taut, approaches the silo, the rope follows the curve of the silo and is no longer a straight line.

Oh right, so the ends of the arc would curve in ever so slightly where they meet the silo...

#12 Jiminy Cricket

Jiminy Cricket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:48 PM

Seems to me that this estimation was a bit too liberal with the assumptions.

Spoiler for Here's what I get

Spoiler for Now, if you want to get REALLY precise

Wow, I can't even balance my checkbook!

#13 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

It is not the rope that impedes the goat, it is the silo. As the goat, on the end of its rope so as to stretch it taut, approaches the silo, the rope follows the curve of the silo and is no longer a straight line.

Thanks. You're absolutely right.

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#14 lazboy

lazboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

Spoiler for Shoot, while I was a-doing the math someone beat me to this!

Spoiler for good call

#15 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:57 PM

Lazboy has got the answer I was looking for. Congrats. I also like his attempt at figuring the lost area due to the rope wrapping around the silo. If the arc AB is 12 meters then I figure the grazing circles radius diminishes to about 11.5 meters where it contacts the silo.

#16 HoustonHokie

HoustonHokie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

Lazboy has got the answer I was looking for. Congrats. I also like his attempt at figuring the lost area due to the rope wrapping around the silo. If the arc AB is 12 meters then I figure the grazing circles radius diminishes to about 11.5 meters where it contacts the silo.

Spoiler for day late, 0.75 m2 short

Edited by HoustonHokie, 10 December 2008 - 07:32 PM.

#17 lazboy

lazboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 04:09 AM

Wow, I guess your precision trumps mine. I knew it was a spiral shape, but didn't take the time to figure out how to draw a perfect spiral (let alone figure out what specific type of spiral it should be) in the software I was using, so I used an arc tangent to the cyan circle in your drawing with the same start and end points as your spiral. So it was merely another estimation and not the exact solution, but if your solution is completely accurate, my "precise" solution was only off by 0.2%. :)

#18 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

FWIW - It's the type of spiral whose radius increases linearly with angle.
The Archimedean spiral: r = a + bθ
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#19 HoustonHokie

HoustonHokie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

FWIW - It's the type of spiral whose radius increases linearly with angle.
The Archimedean spiral: r = a + bθ

Is it still an Archimedean spiral if the center of the spiral moves with the angle as well? The graphic shown on the linking page you sent shows a definite central point - for this problem, that center does not stay still, but keeps moving around the silo. I've been able to define the spiral parametrically, but don't know of a single function which could describe it.

#20 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5575 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:54 PM

Is it still an Archimedean spiral if the center of the spiral moves with the angle as well? The graphic shown on the linking page you sent shows a definite central point - for this problem, that center does not stay still, but keeps moving around the silo. I've been able to define the spiral parametrically, but don't know of a single function which could describe it.

Probably not.

But the idea of adding to the radius in proportion to the angle of wrap probably makes it the closest choice.
That is, it rules out a slew of them - logarithmic, most importantly.

The radius is measured from a moving point, as you point out.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users