BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers

The Murderer

Question

I heard this one a long time ago.

A man aproaches you in a dark alley. He says,

"If you tell a lie, I will kill you with a knife. If you tell the truth, I will kill you with a gun."

What do you say to stay alive?

• Answers 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Ask him the exact same question, but without threats. in other words "if YOU tell a lie, If you tell the truth..." . then, seeing as he's confused, kick him in any desirable spot and then run away. :)

"If you tell a lie, I will kill you with a knife. If you tell the truth, I will kill you with a gun."

"You will kill me with a knife."

nothing because then you arent lieing or telling the truth your not saying anything

HELLO ALL!!

Newbie here (and I have a feeling from the puzzles I've tried so far I may require both your help and patience!! :blush: - I have an IQ of 156 and STILL cannot get my head round half of these :lol: !!)

Anyway this is just a thought but could you not either; Say nothing at all - nowhere did it specify you HAD to talk to the murderer! OR, and this is sorta contingent on the murderer's having a logical mindset say "God Exists". IE; A statement he cannot prove to be either true or false.Just my thoughts....If you did say that though better hope he isn't a very religious man!!

well this is what i have to say.

since he isn't holding you in some sort of lock or hold, tell him a lie since it's easier to dodge a knife than a gun and you'll know what to expect, or if you have horrible reflexes then just say something that he doesn't know if it's truth or a lie then while he's contemplating it...send out the Chuck Norris signal...jk :P anyway, that's what i think.

If you say "you will kill me with your knife", by the murderer's rules, the statement is paradoxically true and false, and because paradoxes are unhelpful, the only option is for the statement to be true.

If "you will kill me with your knife" is true, then the murderer will kill you with his knife, and since you said a true statement, you will be killed with the gun as well.

Edited by Kiddo