Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bulbs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#231 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:05 AM

Don't know if this solution is already posted before...

:lol: the correct solution is in the very first post ... and in hundreds of posts after it :lol:

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#232 jreichart

jreichart

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:20 PM

Why wouldn't you just turn on 2 switches, enter the room and make note of which lights are on, then unscrew one bulb. Go back to the switches and alternately turn on/off the switches you had already turned on. The one that does nothing controls the light with the loosened bulb, and the 2nd switch controls the other light that was on. You know the switch you didn't touch controls the light that was not on at all. Problem solved, and no burned fingers!

#233 Greg Arnold

Greg Arnold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 09:07 PM

I believe that my answer works, although it differs from the given answer: I would turn the 1st switch on. Eventually it would burn the bulb out. Let's allow 2 weeks of "on" to assure this occurs. Then, I turn on switch 2. Lastly, I go into the lamp room and observe which bulb has a broken filament (1), which bulb is on, and bulb which is off. - Greg Arnold

#234 new guest

new guest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 04:20 AM

greg arnold, you are very smart. i would tun the bulb off though, just to make sure.

#235 RCool7

RCool7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:58 PM

Just turn on one for a while for at least 2mins and hen turn it off and turn another on and go into the room. The light that is on will be the switch that is on and the warm bulb will be the first switch and obviously the last switch is to the cool and unlit bulb. This is one of the easier ones I've seen.

#236 the new riddler

the new riddler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:36 AM

this is an old one...
turn on 1
wait ten min
turn off 1 and turn on 2

go in
if bulb is hot, it's 1
if on, its 2
if off and cold, it's 3
:P

#237 i am a liar

i am a liar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:53 AM

guys what if the bulb is is too high to touch
:lol:

#238 RajPath

RajPath

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:14 AM

Sequence of steps are given below:

Switch 1: ON: Leave ON for 10 minutes: OFF
Switch 2: ON
Go to room with bulbs
1 bulb will be glowing: This is linked to Switch 2
Check which bulb is hot: This is linked to Switch 1
Check which bulb is cold: This is linked to Switch 3
Voila !!

#239 buddhabuddy87

buddhabuddy87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2008 - 08:02 AM

1)Switch 1 (turn on for 5 minits turn off again)
2)Switch 2(leave on)
3)Do not touch switch.
walk into Room if bulb is on it's switch 2 if it's off and hot to touch then it's switch 1 if it's not hot switch 3 B))

#240 Jordanmax

Jordanmax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 13 March 2008 - 03:03 AM

Bulbs - Back to the Logic Puzzles
This is one of my favorite logic puzzles (Edit: it is more a practical than a logic puzzle).
Imagine you are in a room with 3 switches. In an adjacent room there are 3 bulbs (Edit: let's say in lamps which are on a regular table) - all are off at the moment, each switch belongs to one bulb. It is impossible to see from one room to another. How can you find out which switch belongs to which bulb, if you may enter the room with the bulbs only once?

Edit: No help from anybody else is allowed.
Edit: Find out which switch belongs to which bulb - identify all 3 switches (so find out what bulbs are switches 1, 2 and 3 connected to)

turn one on for a while. Then turn it off turn another one on. Enter the room see which one is hot. then there is one on and one cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users