Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bulbs

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
257 replies to this topic

#11 Noodle

Noodle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 08:24 AM

Sounds logical to me!

#12 Garrek99

Garrek99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:41 AM

If you could label this puzzle one of two ways:
A "practical" puzzle or
a "logic" puzzle
which do you think would be most appropriate?

All I am trying to say is that solving some puzzles doesn't involve sensing and touching.
(it's no big deal, I don't really want my 2 weeks back)

#13 pack_fanny

pack_fanny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:40 PM

ok so if you can only walk into the room once, than how can you eaisly determine the other two, you can only turn on one light switch or you wont be able to figure out the other two because two lights will be hot and will not be able to tell which switch is which.
help me figure this one out.

#14 pack_fanny

pack_fanny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 10:06 PM

ok so never mind i got it.
i got temperarily confused.

#15 bwellsy17

bwellsy17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 09:25 AM

I would hire a new electrician......one who is better at planning and mapping out the switches and receptacles, so it wouldn't be necessary to turn on a light from three rooms away.

#16 larryhl

larryhl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:23 PM

This is the original puzzle (which rookie1ja adapted):

There is a room with a door (closed) and three light bulbs. Outside the room there are three switches, connected to the bulbs. You may manipulate the switches as you wish, but once you open the door you can't change them. Identify each switch with its bulb.

Notice the closed door. No looking into the room, looking at shadows, etc.

The only way to do it is to turn one on for some time, switch it off, turn on another switch, and walk into the room. The one that's on is connected to the switch you just turned on, the bulb that's hot is the one you turned on first, and the cool bulb is connected to the switch you didn't touch.

#17 W_Stilwell

W_Stilwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 12:23 PM

Could you just plant them?

#18 larryhl

larryhl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

Could you just plant them?

They're light bulbs, not flower bulbs ><

#19 sk8erfou

sk8erfou

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 09:31 AM

here is a good solution... turn on 2 random switches... open the door to the other room... break 1 of the bulbs... go back to the switch room.... while looking at the door to the other room... turn one of the switches off... if the light goes you now know all 3... if it doesnt go out... you still know all 3

#20 Numenor

Numenor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:42 PM

Well, "logic" puzzles mean that you have to think about it using logic, not necessarily meaning that it's solution must be logical.

Well, I've found another way to solve this puzzle, but it's almost the exact same as the one you are all presenting.

Turn on two of the switches, wait some time, turn one of them off, go in.
The one the is on should be obvious, the one that you just turned off would be the one that is off but hot, and the cold one is the one you never touched.

The solution you provided is:
Turn on one switch, wait, then turn that one off, turn on another one, then walk in. Repeat the remaining steps from the previous example.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users