Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#11 nightmare

nightmare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:06 AM

The shortest distance is indeed a straight line, but you are neglecting that he is also 8 km west of his cabin to begin with.

Sorry this is so crude, but it should get the point across.

Okay so by combining your drawing and my conclusion, I had to add three miles to my assumption and now change my answer.

Spoiler for my new calculation

#12 woon

woon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2443 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:24 AM

Spoiler for well.... my calculation

#13 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5530 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

Spoiler for PT can get back in
Re Chuck Norris,
Spoiler for You can lead a horse to drink

The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#14 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3227 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

Spoiler for I'm getting...

Edited by Yoruichi-san, 05 December 2008 - 09:44 AM.

Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page!  Episode 2 is awaiting it's epic conclusion...are you up to the task?

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#15 nobody

nobody

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:24 AM

Spoiler for well.... my calculation

Your error is assuming when s(1) is minimum, then T will be also minimum.
If you calculate in a math way, he shouldn't go straight to north, but 2.82 km. east of it.

As I 've forgotten the derivation of sqrt's, I reached result of 111 minutes by trying 2,3,4 for 2.82 value, and giving 3 km. to east travel, I got 111.
Thanks to Bonanova, as he reminded me derivations, and I managed to get the result without try and error.

Really, this is a math problem and it isn't possible to get it without derivations.

#16 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:45 AM

I say... Hasn't Professor any water at home? Per Bonanova's calculations, the distance they traveled from their stop to water is only slightly shorter than the distance from that rest point to home. (It's something like 7 km vs. 9 km.) And if the horse refuses to go in any other direction, but towards the water, wouldn't it also insist on taking the shortest path to the river?

Past prime, actually.

#17 Ionno

Ionno

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:53 AM

It started to heavily down pour and the Professor used his shirt to collect water to quench the horses thirst, then they returned home in a striaght line.

#18 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:24 AM

It started to heavily down pour and the Professor used his shirt to collect water to quench the horses thirst, then they returned home in a striaght line.

Actually Prof. T used
Spoiler for his

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users