Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:04 AM

Professor Templeton was staying at a cabin in the remote countryside and decided to go out horseback riding. After riding all day he found himself 8 km West of his cabin and 4 km North, but his horse needed fresh water before he could return. In his travels he had come across a river that ran due East to West, 6 km North of his current position. If if will take 15 minutes to water the horse and his horse can travel at a constant speed of 10 km per hour when thirsty and 12 km per hour when watered, what's the shortest time it will take Prof. T to return to his cabin?
Spoiler for Also

#2 JackOfDiamonds

JackOfDiamonds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:43 AM

Professor Templeton was staying at a cabin in the remote countryside and decided to go out horseback riding. After riding all day he found himself 8 km West of his cabin and 4 km North, but his horse needed fresh water before he could return. In his travels he had come across a river that ran due East to West, 6 km North of his current position. If if will take 15 minutes to water the horse and his horse can travel at a constant speed of 10 km per hour when thirsty and 12 km per hour when watered, what's the shortest time it will take Prof. T to return to his cabin?

Spoiler for Also

Spoiler for solution?

#3 Prof. Templeton

Prof. Templeton

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:01 AM

Spoiler for solution?

That would be a possible route, but is it the shortest?

#4 JackOfDiamonds

JackOfDiamonds

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:15 AM

That would be a possible route, but is it the shortest?

:o
Spoiler for hmmmm

#5 Neptune'sObsoleteVersion

Neptune'sObsoleteVersion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:18 AM

:o

Spoiler for hmmmm

I'm pretty sure a dehydrated horse slows you down... It might die. Of course, you don't seem to care about animal rights. <_<

#6 HokieKen

HokieKen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:36 AM

Spoiler for way I see it

#7 nightmare

nightmare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:03 AM

My math skills aren't that great but here is my guess
Spoiler for hoping

#8 HokieKen

HokieKen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:27 AM

My math skills aren't that great but here is my guess

Spoiler for hoping

The return trip is > 10km. He is 10 km north and 8km west so he is (10^2 + 8^2)^1/2 km from cabin.

#9 nightmare

nightmare

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:33 AM

The Shortest distance between two points is a straight line, he is 4 miles north of his cabin and has to go another 6 miles north to water the horse. That means Due South it is 10 miles back to his cabin.

#10 HokieKen

HokieKen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:54 AM

The Shortest distance between two points is a straight line, he is 4 miles north of his cabin and has to go another 6 miles north to water the horse. That means Due South it is 10 miles back to his cabin.

The shortest distance is indeed a straight line, but you are neglecting that he is also 8 km west of his cabin to begin with.

Image1.jpg

Sorry this is so crude, but it should get the point across.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users