Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Father and Son

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#41 RiddleRookie

RiddleRookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 07:40 PM

The only reversable combo are 6/60, 15/51,24/42, 33/33. Adding in the multiple rule clearly makes 6/60 meet all three conditions. I'm sure some might discuss 33/33 and stepchildren, but I'm sticking with 06/60 as my final answer.

#42 Drama Queen

Drama Queen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 12:38 AM

i got 51 and 15 bt 51 isnt a multiple of 15....

#43 itachi-san

itachi-san

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3620 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 04:41 AM

Spoiler for I'm going with...

#44 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 10:05 AM

Spoiler for I'm going with...

Life starting off in double figures ... :lol:

My son said his sister was nothing, that is until she was ONE, could not concieve fractions let alone her first year.

#45 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:18 PM

... but I have to argue that 6 REVERSED is what? Not 60 in any kind of normal numerical fashion. Also, when writing, depicting or thinking about age, a zero beginning single digits is never used.

c'mon guys, this is a puzzle. It should be as complicated as possible not to be spot-on easily ...

I surrender now ... :P

#46 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 01:50 PM

c'mon guys, this is a puzzle. It should be as complicated as possible not to be spot-on easily ...

I surrender now ... :P

Are you admitting you are wrong or did you defend the impossible against an infinite enemy - Matrix style?
Maybe a new puzzle from you will do it - yours are usually very good to great.

#47 brhan

brhan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 03:20 PM

Are you admitting you are wrong or did you defend the impossible against an infinite enemy - Matrix style?
Maybe a new puzzle from you will do it - yours are usually very good to great.

thanx 'lost in space' for the comment. I admit that the puzzle could have been worded in a better way.

#48 rcammoore

rcammoore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 08 April 2008 - 04:23 PM

thanx 'lost in space' for the comment. I admit that the puzzle could have been worded in a better way.

Easy enough to fix. If it simply said "The son's age is the reverse of the father's age" rather than "The father's age is the reverse of the son's age" then it would be perfectly fine.

People (including myself) may argue that 60 is not the reverse of 6, but I don't think that anyone would argue that 6 is not the reverse of 60.

Edited by rcammoore, 08 April 2008 - 04:23 PM.

#49 Chuck Rampart

Chuck Rampart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:28 PM

OP states .... Furthermore, the father's age is a multiple of the son's age.

If multiple does not mean integral multiple, the statement gives no information.
Every pair of ages, otherwise, could be described as multiples.

So if you reject that as precise, let's affirm it for all practical purposes. :D

I would argue that it would give some information, since it would rule out the possibility that the son's age is 0. This is assuming you allow 0 to be counted as an age (and if we're rounding all ages down to the nearest year, why not?), and that the father's age cannot also be 0. Of course, the sum of 66 and reversal conditions already eliminated a zero-year old son, but pedantism has its advantages.

#50 caveman1144

caveman1144

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:35 PM

"The father's age is the son's age reversed" is inaccurate. 6 reversed could mean simply 6 reversed, which is 6 again, 06 reversed, 006 reversed, ect. This sentence should say, "The son's age is the father's age reversed."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users