Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Man in the Elevator

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

#61 mslater1956

mslater1956

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2007 - 04:50 AM

The man was a midget and could only reach the button to the 7th floor. On days that it rained, he would take his umbrella and use it to punch the 10th floor button, or if someone was in the elevator with him, he would ask them to punch to correct button for him.

#62 pickmanmike

pickmanmike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2007 - 11:28 PM

This needs to be qualified as "the dumbest midget in the world" - that would walk three flights of steps, rather than stand on his tippy toes, or jump one inch, or carry a one inch stick, or wait for someone else, or make any sort of arrangements with his living space to not so grossly inconvenience himself on a daily basis. If he's that small I'd have to imagine the the stairs would be quite difficult for him anyway. Far better explanation (and in my opinion more satisfying): it's a normal person that has an illicit relationship with someone else in the building, and doesn't want anyone else to know, and has to change his (or her) clothes when they're wet before arriving.

#63 ali500

ali500

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 04:38 PM

The man is not a midget. The elevtor is creepy to him past the sveventh floor unless someone else has pressed the button. also he works for the Minstry of Magic and uses magic to press the buttons so he invites fellow minstry workers so that they can balst the memories of any muggle who sees them useing magic quickly. This happens mostly on rain days because any muggle could easily remember somthing as exciting as seeing magic on any boring rainy day.

#64 carrollsav

carrollsav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:32 PM

Dear Pedants:

Ok, ok.

This is an old puzzle. When I was very young (and I'm pretty old now), my dad would play "How Come?" This was one of the conumdrums among a whole series. Note that this was before PC crud, when midgets were called midgets, and it was in no way insulting, just fact. If part of the solution requires specifying that the elevator buttons were at such a height that he could reach button 7 and not 8 (maybe in one column only, or starting with "G"round or "P"arking before the first floor button) - those DO exist), and that he didn't mind walking up the last 3 flights as much as he minded carrying an umbrella when it wasn't raining, then it's part of the solution.

K.I.S.S.

#65 sanju_gates

sanju_gates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:23 AM

he would be short..so the the button in the elevator coulkd not be used by him.when its raining he would carry an umbrella so he ll use it to make it;)is this right?

#66 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1336 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 02:07 PM

he would be short..so the the button in the elevator coulkd not be used by him.when its raining he would carry an umbrella so he ll use it to make it;)is this right?

that's right ... fyi, there is solution on the first page of each puzzle (search for "Spoiler for Solution" underneath the puzzle and click on the button that says "Show")

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#67 Psysex

Psysex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 07:15 PM

In my opinion, the man is too short to press the 10th floor butun and unless there is some one on the elevator to press the butun for him or unless he brings is umberelou to press the buton, he can only press the 7th floor butun.

#68 brain-box

brain-box

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:24 PM

What didnt make sense to me is that he could only go to the 7th floor. With that in mind, elevator buttons are usually in even rows so why the 7th floor and not the 6th or higher?? Anyone? I think I have a pretty valid point....

its not 6th floor or any lower because he'd have to walk up loads of flights of stairs

#69 aruseb

aruseb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 12:52 AM

yes got it. he is spider man.

#70 ryan35

ryan35

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 09:34 PM

It would make sense if this man was a spy...If there is someone else in the elevator he would not want them to know where he lived...and on a rainy day he would want to make sure his feet were sufficiently dry as not to lead anyone back to his apartment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users