Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Man in the Elevator

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

#51 strangerthanfiction

strangerthanfiction

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 11:01 PM

I agree that the "canonical" answer, involving a midget, is satisfying. Why? People often seem tickled by the idea of midgets, those strange little people whom we don't often acknowledge and then ridicule when we do. The brain-teaser is supposed to throw us off by asking about a man. When the man turns out to be a midget, we are delighted and surprised. Imagine that -- a midget can be a man! But shorter, of course. Right? Beware your satisfactions; they may belie your own insecurities.

Anyway, on to the point I thought I was going to make before getting sidetracked. There are so many problems with the midget answer -- well documented by others here, and most of them concerning the improbability of a midget who can hold down a job and afford an apartment but cannot figure out a better way to punch elevator buttons that are slightly out of his reach -- that except for his midgethood, there's little satisfaction to be found.

I found more satisfaction in the answers that focus on the man's desire for secrecy. When someone else is in the elevator, the man changes his routine, suggesting he wants to keep his after-work habits a secret from others in the building. An torrid affair, or just a sneak peek through a window -- such explanations seem more plausible than a poor little guy staring up at an unreachable button in the elevator. Such answers, however, tack on explanations about the umbrella as an afterthought, detracting from the satisfaction they otherwise offer.

My favorite answer, because it just occurred to me, focuses on the phrase "someone else in the elevator." That could mean anybody else, which is what most people assume, or it could mean someone in particular. Stick with me here: When you get into an elevator on the ground floor, there is seldom someone already in it, waiting to go up. He or she joins you as you enter. This creates a problem for the hypothetical secretive paramour, who could simply find an excuse to wait in the lobby, then proceed up to his lover on the seventh floor when the elevator is empty again. But what if the "someone else" whom the man encounters is riding the elevator down and exits as the man enters? And what if that "someone else" is not just anyone? I believe he must be the man's occasional tennis partner from the apartment building down the street, just now returning from a rousing game with someone else on the outside court on the seventh-floor terrace. Knowing that his partner is unavailable for a game, having already played, the man goes straight to his own tenth-floor apartment. If it has been raining that day, the tennis courts are wet and therefore unsuitable for tennis, so again the man proceeds straight to his apartment, where he amuses himself by marking off his height on a doorway and smugly noting that he may not be able to play tennis that day, but at least he is no midget.

#52 ian95

ian95

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 October 2007 - 03:36 AM

the man just used his umbrella to push the button to the seventh floor.... DUH

#53 amit

amit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 09:13 AM

In my experience the floor buttons on the elevator are placed in the order of
lowest floor top then moving to higher floors. My asumption is that if the midget
is able to reach the 7 floor button he will suerly be able to reach the 10 floor button.

#54 binoy.dcruz

binoy.dcruz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 October 2007 - 04:11 PM

Midget cannot reach button of 10th floor (only 7th floor one) unless he has umbrella or someone is there to push it for him

#55 plarue540

plarue540

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 03:23 AM

The man is a midget. He can only reach the seventh floor button. If it was raining, he would use his umbrella and if there was someone else in the elevator, he would ask them to push the button.

#56 edwardlovesmemost

edwardlovesmemost

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 07:10 AM

I remember this one from middle school! The guys a midget, so he can't reach the top buttons on the elevator side. But in the morning he can reach the one, and in the afternoon, he can't reach the 10, only the seven, and walks the rest, unless someone else is in the elevator, then they can push the 10 button for him! HA! Genious!

#57 chaytonrance

chaytonrance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 06:11 PM

Maybe the guy just wanted some exercise and maybe when it was raining he did not feel like carrying an umbrella up the stails plus boots can make u tired of walking.

#58 promontorium

promontorium

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 08:56 PM

Although I have always wondered why they have braille drive-thru tellers. haha Just a joke.

I reasoned out that answer on my own! Button manufacturers don't have time determining where every button they make will end up. If they make all their buttons with braille then it solves the issue. They wouldn't need a special "braille line" they wouldn't have excess product, they wouldn't need to make sure only braille buttons make it to sidewalk ATMs, and only non-braille buttons make it to drive-thrus.

#59 RocketWrestler

RocketWrestler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:02 PM

Simple the man is a midget and on days that it rains he takes an umbrella and can reach the tenth floor button and on sunny days he can only reach the 7th floor button

#60 credels

credels

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:43 PM

What, he couldnt use a cane? a stick? a pencil?
The real answer is that the rain floods the stairs and he cant take the stairs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users