Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Man in the Elevator

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

#31 roxsox

roxsox

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 10:32 PM

that is very obvious!
he isn't tall enought to reach the tenth button,so he walks what he can't reach!!

#32 youchan

youchan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:12 AM

wow! i ddnt thought d answer was dat..hehe..funny..

#33 Gaeel

Gaeel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:14 PM

Actually, this isn't logical reasoning, this is lateral reasoning.

Lateral reasoning is when you use factors that are outside the initial problem to solve it.
Just saying that there's a difference, Lateral reasoning is obviously more useful in the real world than Logical reasoning because it offers more solutions and also allows to choose different solutions.

For example : I owe a friend 5 euros, but I've only got one euro in my pocket. How can I repay him?

Using logical reasoning there is no solution, but with lateral thinking there are loads of solutions.
- "Let me get to an ATM.'
- "I'll pay you tomorrow, I got some cash at home."
- "Let me get you a drink next time we go out and call it quits?"
- RUN! (I don't like that guy anyway.)

Also in lateral reason there is no right or wrong answer, whereas usually in logical reasoning there is only on correct answer (sometimes a few more, but these are generally just rearrangements of the correct answer.)

#34 kc teves

kc teves

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

the man is a midget person or a dwarf!!! he can't push the elevator button unless he has an umbrella with him!!! wahahaha!!!

#35 LogicallyJ

LogicallyJ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:22 AM

My guess, as always just a guess unless I get it right. He must be weatherman, who predicts clear skies. When it rains, or someone is in the elevator he tries to avoid notice and retribution. On the other days, he visits his mistress on the 7th floor and walks the three flights to avoid detection, and explain why he is sweaty and out of breath and give him an excuse to rush into the shower. The cad!!! Not as good as the dwarf

MORE PC TERM

and pencil theory but still somewhat imaginative I think. Enjoy, discuss, argue, point fingers etc. etc...

J.J.

#36 rubik

rubik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 11:39 PM

This is definitely the RIGHT ANSWER!

If the girl he's been stalking is not in the elevator then she's probably sunbathing on her balcony and he can climb the fire escape stairs outside and pass by to get a quick glimpse of her on the 7th floor.

OR, if no one's in the elevator then no one will see him get off on the 7th and question him. No one likes to be questioned when it comes to sneaking a peak at a sunbathing girl.

She never sunbathes when its raining.

#37 Mugsi

Mugsi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 01:32 AM

The Man in the Elevator - Back to the Logic Puzzles
A man lives on the tenth floor of a building. Every morning he takes the elevator down to the lobby and leaves the building. In the evening, he gets into the elevator, and, if there is someone else in the elevator - or if it was raining that day - he goes back to his floor directly. Otherwise, he goes to the seventh floor and walks up three flights of stairs to his apartment. Can you explain why?
(This is probably the best known and most celebrated of all lateral thinking logic puzzles. It is a true classic. Although there are many possible solutions which fit the initial conditions, only the canonical answer is truly satisfying.)

Spoiler for Solution

Noooo! It's because he has a medical condition called and his doctor said that if he was planning to go to his apartment directly or had an umbrella and it was a rainy day then he was allowed go to his apartment directly. But if the criteria isn't met, he must walk from the 7th floor or else he will die by his condition of veryverystrangeandweirdill-phemia!

Beware of veryverystrangeandweirdill-phemia, it may even get to you!

#38 Joseph_

Joseph_

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 03:11 PM

Hmm... may have something to do with a rash???? I'm only Eleven

#39 EZTORRES

EZTORRES

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 11:53 PM

You would have to assume that the buttons were installed to where he couldn't reach the upper floor buttons. How can one say that he can only reach the seventh floor button? You would actually have to know how tall he is and at which height each button is located. A midget is defined to be a person with a height of 50 inches or less.

#40 sajow4

sajow4

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:19 PM

Very clever!
This riddle is excellent.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users