Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Man in the Elevator

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

#11 artune

artune

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 May 2007 - 01:48 AM

where i live, the low numbers are at the top. he could reach the high numbers but not the low.

#12 semperfiwifey04

semperfiwifey04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 04:19 AM

Why in the world would a short person get an apartment on the 10th floor... Doesn't seem too smart and you expect him to carry a pencil so he can push buttons??? However that does sound most logical.

#13 W_Stilwell

W_Stilwell

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 01:02 PM

It says there is a canonical answer, what do short people have to do with the bible? It must be a story from the bible, but I only have read Ecclesiastes, are there any bible readers around?

#14 larryhl

larryhl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 02:36 PM

It says there is a canonical answer, what do short people have to do with the bible? It must be a story from the bible, but I only have read Ecclesiastes, are there any bible readers around?

Canonical also means "authorized, recognized, accepted," which is how it's being used in the description.

#15 Garrek99

Garrek99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 08 June 2007 - 11:28 PM

I think fellow is just kidding. Hehe

#16 ANUBIS

ANUBIS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:05 AM

The Poster was correct, there are more than one Answer, However, I'm Only Going to say 2 Words: Occam's Razor

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

John
P.S. Don't reply to tell me it's actually Ockham's Razor. Some people spell it like that. Why? Who Knows

#17 norrismp

norrismp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 09:26 AM

You know why this is BS? Because in elevators the lowest numbers are at the top and then they go down from there. So, in reality, floor 10 would be lower on the panel then floor 7 so the midget would only be able to go to the highest floors.

To correct the puzzle, you could have the midget get off on a higher floor and walk down.

#18 apa

apa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

You know why this is BS? Because in elevators the lowest numbers are at the top and then they go down from there. So, in reality, floor 10 would be lower on the panel then floor 7 so the midget would only be able to go to the highest floors.

To correct the puzzle, you could have the midget get off on a higher floor and walk down.

Not every elevator is the same. Some have the lowest number at the bottom while others have lowest number at the top. This elevator obviously had the low numbers on the bottom.

#19 mannu

mannu

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:02 AM

The man is a dwarf. The maximum height to which he can reach is the 7th floor button. But if there is another person in the elevator he requests him to press the 10th flr button for him. If its a rainy day, he uses his umbrella to do the same... I think thats one of the solutions..

#20 Brookey

Brookey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 04:57 AM

Well, I don't know what the laws are like abroad, or if they're even the same all over the US, but a person who is handicapped (and a dwarf/midget would certainly classify as such) wouldn't be stupid enough to live in a building that doesn't conform to the laws regarding the special needs of the handicapped. For example, all elevators have the buttons labeled with braille for the blind, and by law they have to have ramps to accommodate those in wheelchairs. One of the "little people" would most certainly have arranged with the building manager/owner to have either a stool permanently placed in the elevator or have the panel with the buttons lowered and placed within reach. I grew up with a friend who was confined to a wheelchair back in the 70s and she ran into this kind of problem everywhere. Everything has to be handicapped accessible nowadays. Although I have always wondered why they have braille drive-thru tellers. haha Just a joke.

Good logic puzzle, nonetheless.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users