Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Man in the Elevator

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
163 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1341 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

A Man in an Elevator - Back to the Logic Puzzles
A man who lives on the tenth floor takes the elevator down to the first floor every morning and goes to work. In the evening, when he comes back; on a rainy day, or if there are other people in the elevator, he goes to his floor directly. Otherwise, he goes to the seventh floor and walks up three flights of stairs to his apartment.
Can you explain why?
(This is one of the more popular and most celebrated of all lateral thinking logic puzzles. It is a true classic. Although there are many possible solutions that fit the conditions, only the canonical answer is truly satisfying.)

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

Spoiler for old wording

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 aayz

aayz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:33 AM

rubish!

#3 Pollywotsit

Pollywotsit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 08:24 PM

Hi,

I remember this one from Primary school when our teacher was trying to get a class of 7 year olds to think things out. That lesson has stuck in my memory!

I love these types of problems and just found the forum today and am having a browse round. Hope to get to know some of you soon.

PollyWotsit

#4 qazqaz

qazqaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 08:48 PM

couldnt he jump? B))

#5 JoJoBee

JoJoBee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:53 PM

I love the short person one, that makes sense.

My first thought about was;

He doesn't walk up the stairs because he probably is soaking wet, and who would want to walk up three flights of stairs in wet cloths. The reason why he doesn't walk when a person is in the elevator, I couldn't think of a sturdy answer, but my thought was maybe he didn't want to be rude.

#6 nobrainer

nobrainer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2007 - 07:36 PM

I just thought he wanted to get attention or something. Maybe he wanted to meet new people. But that is very clever of you to know that he was a midget. hahaha

#7 Garrek99

Garrek99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 01:34 AM

I am sorry but lateral thinking puzzles should be based on some practical reality.

There is not a single midget in existence that wouldn't start carrying a freakin' pencil with him so that he can press that freakin' elevator button. That is BIG BS. I apologize for being rude. I am mostly just playing around, although, I belive that the point is valid.

#8 pack_fanny

pack_fanny

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 09:51 PM

I am sorry but lateral thinking puzzles should be based on some practical reality.

There is not a single midget in existence that wouldn't start carrying a freakin' pencil with him so that he can press that freakin' elevator button. That is BIG BS. I apologize for being rude. I am mostly just playing around, although, I belive that the point is valid.

ok smarty pants, i think that is logic. some short people may not be smart enough to carry a pencil. that was funny though that you spazed out. :blink:

#9 Veracity

Veracity

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 12:21 PM

It is funny to watch a LOGIC PUZZLE turn into a discussion about whether or not a midget would start carring a pencil in his pocket to avoid walking up a few stairs to get home..LOL THAT'S NOT THE POINT. The puzzle was designed in a way that would JUSTIFY "WHY" only on a rainy day, or WHY when not alone, he would have to walk up the stairs. :lol:

#10 MikeFalcor

MikeFalcor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 May 2007 - 08:48 PM

Living in LA, I have a different answer:

Parking levels are 1-7. He parks on the 7th level, but there is no elevator access. Makes sense as he would want to drive if it were raining out...

LOL!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users