Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HOW DID IT HAPPEN???

Best Answer bonanova, 24 September 2007 - 03:12 AM

I think this answer

Yep. I presume you mean 1 mile north of south pole?

doesn't work: when you get to the South pole, how do you run West?

But this answer:

There's an infinite number of circles around the South Pole where he could have started.

does: for example, any point on the circle (1 + 1/2pi) miles from the South Pole.

After going South 1 mile, you're (1/2pi) miles from the Pole,
which allows you to run West 1 mile [1 lap of a 1-mile circumference circle]
and be able to go a mile North to the starting point.

As Martini noted, there is an infinite number of starting distances:
1 + 1/2Npi miles North of the South pole where N is any positive integer.
N is then the number of circular laps in your westerly mile.

e.g. N=5280 - you'd run 5280 laps around a 1-foot circumference circle.

Here's a counter question - why can't N be negative?
i.e. start closer than a mile - you could still do N laps Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 EPISTAXIS

EPISTAXIS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 02:03 AM

FOR SOME REASON IT ONLY ADDED ONE OF MY DIAGRAMS, HERES THE OTHER

Attached Images

• MILE_S_W_N2.JPG

#42 Geneass

Geneass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 August 2008 - 05:59 AM

One solution is the N. Pole. All the rest are near the S Pole, one mile north of any of the whole fraction laps, as stated.

The treadmill is bogus, your not actually running any distance, you're just running in place.

Edited by Geneass, 24 August 2008 - 06:01 AM.

#43 EPISTAXIS

EPISTAXIS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2008 - 03:18 AM

One solution is the N. Pole. All the rest are near the S Pole, one mile north of any of the whole fraction laps, as stated.

The treadmill is bogus, your not actually running any distance, you're just running in place.

I STILL DONT GET THE 1 MILE N OF THE S POLE THING, CUZ ONCE U GO SOUTH TO THE SOUTH POLE THEN YOU CANT GO WEST AT THE EXACT PINPOINT OF THE SOUTH POLE ???

#44 Geneass

Geneass

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 05:18 AM

I STILL DONT GET THE 1 MILE N OF THE S POLE THING, CUZ ONCE U GO SOUTH TO THE SOUTH POLE THEN YOU CANT GO WEST AT THE EXACT PINPOINT OF THE SOUTH POLE ???

The starting point is always greater than one mile north of the south pole.

Without a formula, the concept is that you walk west one mile and are back at the point where you began walking west. You have followed a circular path one or multiple times to return to the same point. You then turn north and return to the starting point. The starting points are literally infinite in number. The closer to the south pole you start, the more westward circles you will make. The key is that each circular path is a whole fraction of one mile i.e. 1/2 mi., 1/23 mi. etc. You may circle once or one hundred times, the key is that you walk exactly one mile west.

#45 sherace

sherace

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:03 PM

but couldn't he have also ended up in a place with the same name as the place he started???? or am i just unknowingly ignorant to something??? :huh:

Edited by sherace, 01 November 2008 - 10:03 PM.

#46 peace*out

peace*out

Adult Child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4891 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:02 PM

but couldn't he have also ended up in a place with the same name as the place he started???? or am i just unknowingly ignorant to something??? :huh:

It wouldn't be the exact place - you could make another site called brainden, but it isn't the same as this one.

#47 Miguel Gris

Miguel Gris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2008 - 07:50 PM

I think there are in fact at least infinite squared solutions....
(and near infinite cubed) :-)

Assuming good the journey could be started on any paralell what is one mile north
of the circle that is (1/N) miles lenght (1/2, 1/3, 1/4 and so on...) so the western
leg takes a whole number of laps around the south pole, there are infinite paralells
from the journey could be started, and on each one of them, there are an infinite
number of points from which start... So here we have infinite circles multiplied by
infinite points on each circle (infinite squared)

And as the number of worlds in the universe is near infinite, multiply that for the
number of worlds where that can happen, and we're close to infinite cubed starting
points...

#48 Gazza7

Gazza7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 December 2008 - 11:15 AM

He Could of ran on a treadmill

#49 Bliss

Bliss

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

He could have started a bit above a mile north of the S. Pole and ran south. Once he ran south he runs west around the Earth so he ends up in the same spot. and then goes north ending in the sam spot he started. He could have also started a little to the left or a little more to the left, etc etc, resulting in infinite starting points.

#50 Lost in space

Lost in space

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4009 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

Spoiler for how many

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users