Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Magnet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#71 cjleee

cjleee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:05 AM

A rod shaped magnet has no magnetization in the middle. So take one rod and see if its middle and one end of the other rod attract each other. If they do, then the first rod is the simple metal. If they don't then the other way around.

#72 funandatraveler

funandatraveler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:58 PM

WELL. i dont know about you, but i imagine myself wearing jeans; therefore, i have a metal button. they only said there was no other metal in THE ROOM specifically, and i am not a peice of THE ROOM.

I agree that this would be the fastest and most reliable way. It makes me wonder if any of these people actually tried their ideas!

#73 vaporvic

vaporvic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:29 PM

[quote name='rookie1ja' date='Mar 30 2007, 10:30 AM' post='54']
Magnet - Back to the Logic Puzzles
This is a logic puzzle published in Martin Gardner's column in the Scientific American.
You are in a room where there are no metal objects except for two iron rods. Only one of them is a magnet.
How can you identify this magnet?

How old am I? What is the diameter of the rods?

I think I would put the end of one of them in my mouth and see if it reacts to my fillings. :D

#74 bard1290

bard1290

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 05:43 AM

I thought about this all day, and after coming up with a solution I was surprised to come home and read that the provided solution actually seemed much more complicated than the one I came up with, it's usually the other way around.

Alternate solution: Break one or both rods and the one who's pieces attract or repel eachother is your magnet.

i thought of exactly the same thing...and i agree with you.

#75 sk8rkat

sk8rkat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:11 AM

couldnt you just put both rods together and see which one has more of a connection with the other?

#76 queen

queen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

Did anyone know that if you hang an iron rod from a string after a few days it will become magnetized, this is how natural magnets are formed when iron ore is lying north to south in the ground...

#77 old school

old school

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:28 PM

If theirs no files or disks, then theirs no string!

#78 8dividedby12

8dividedby12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 03:16 AM

who cares rub the two together in the same direction over and over again and now you have 2 magnets.

#79 nikki1028

nikki1028

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 March 2008 - 01:57 AM

After looking at the solution... I have one question..

If there is NOTHING In the room but the iron rods, where do the pieces of string come from? :huh:

#80 Terri

Terri

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2008 - 11:10 PM

Can't you hold each iron rod close to your watch, one at a time, and see which affects it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users