Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Magnet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#21 speshall mareens

speshall mareens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 03:03 PM

Alternate solution: Break one or both rods and the one who's pieces attract or repel eachother is your magnet.

you stoll my idea! or wich ever atttrct the non-magnet.

#22 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:18 AM

Magnets lose their magnetic field when you hit them hard.
So if you bash one rod against a wall or the floor and then see if the rods are still attracted, if they are, then the other is the magnet.
If they don't attract... Well then you'll know which one WAS the magnet.

which it doesn't matter that it's broken unless you need it to escape the room or something.

#23 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:22 AM

accually hanging the rods ona string would not help because they will both point in a directin how are you sopposed to know which direction is north?

Well, the metal rod (non-magnet) would probably constantly rotate, even just a little, especially if nudged.
the magnet would point in one direction steadfast and if you nudged it, it would go back to it's original position.

#24 Garrek99

Garrek99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 02:27 AM

Alternate solution: Break one or both rods and the one who's pieces attract or repel eachother is your magnet.

you stoll my idea! or wich ever atttrct the non-magnet.

You both must be MAD yo-s.
Break the rod?
Why not fedex it to NASA and see what they say?

#25 wrzesinski

wrzesinski

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 12:43 AM

well...the puzzle doesnt say anything about leaving the room....take the tube of a monitor in[the glass part] move it in front of one and leave...go reinstall it and if the screen is distorted you found your magnet

#26 LuckyOne

LuckyOne

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 08:00 AM

Leave one rod on the floor and holding the other rod tight in hand, very slowly move the rod towards the one on floor.
If the rod in your hand is Magnet, the rod on the floor will shake as soon as it comes in the magnetic field of the Rod in the hand.
And if the rod in hand is not Magnet, while moving slowly toward the rod on the floor, as soon as you try to enter the magnetic field you can feel that change when you are entering the magnetic field.
I am 100% sure this will work, wanna try it out?

#27 RMW

RMW

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 04:41 PM

Leave one rod on the floor and holding the other rod tight in hand, very slowly move the rod towards the one on floor.
If the rod in your hand is Magnet, the rod on the floor will shake as soon as it comes in the magnetic field of the Rod in the hand.
And if the rod in hand is not Magnet, while moving slowly toward the rod on the floor, as soon as you try to enter the magnetic field you can feel that change when you are entering the magnetic field.
I am 100% sure this will work, wanna try it out?

Hang on, Hang on. the magnetic field would work either way round, a little thing called the General theory of relativity
no somebody is no doubt going to ask can i do any better, we porbably not howeveer i did think of this when i read it:

<!-- s:idea: --><!-- s:idea: --> 1) graphite is not a metal & it conduct electricity
<!-- s:idea: --><!-- s:idea: --> 2) the magnetic and electrical forces are the same thing
<!-- s:idea: --><!-- s:idea: --> 3) you can get LED's that contain no metal parts, failing that a very very thin line of graphite would do.

from this i got this idea: you plan it like this:

KEY : line of graphite, rod

|-----------|
|
...........|
LED........#
|...........#
|...........|
|-----------|

(note: the lines are meant to be joined up)

you move the rod from left to right, if the LED flickers then it is your magnet

#28 notalot

notalot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 03:38 AM

wow, this is the first time i have ever seen the admin make a mistake.

a magnet has to have the strongest poles on its ends, this isn't complex at all and if one were to break a magnet they would then have two smaller magnets, nobody can have a mono-pole magnet. it is impossible and has/is still trying to be created.

The impact method would take a long time to see any major change. the hanging method would only work if the two rods were so far away that they had no magnetic field acting on eahother good thing the force drops like 1/(r^2) and r is the distance between the two. the best and smartest way is to use the tip to center method, all others have physical flaws while this one doesn't.

#29 Garrek99

Garrek99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 02:06 AM

wow, this is the first time i have ever seen the admin make a mistake.

a magnet has to have the strongest poles on its ends, this isn't complex at all and if one were to break a magnet they would then have two smaller magnets, nobody can have a mono-pole magnet. it is impossible and has/is still trying to be created.

The impact method would take a long time to see any major change. the hanging method would only work if the two rods were so far away that they had no magnetic field acting on eahother good thing the force drops like 1/(r^2) and r is the distance between the two. the best and smartest way is to use the tip to center method, all others have physical flaws while this one doesn't.

Your idea is one of the provided solutions by the host.
"The real magnet will have a magnetic field at its poles, but not at its center. So as previously mentioned, if you take the iron bar and touch its tip to the magnet's center, the iron bar will not be attracted. This is assuming that the magnet's poles are at its ends. If the poles run through the length of the magnet, then it would be much harder to use this method.
In that case, rotate one rod around its axis while holding an end of the other to its middle. If the rotating rod is the magnet, the force will fluctuate as the rod rotates. If the rotating rod is not magnetic, the force is constant (provided you can keep their positions steady)."
Am I missing something here?

#30 notalot

notalot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:44 AM

you are missing something. the fact that the magnetic field doesnt run the length of the magnet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users