Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Magnet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#11 Incognitum

Incognitum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 07:45 AM

You can't use files and stuff because the puzzle says ithat there are no metal objects in the room. (No floppy discs either, probably)

Dude, what part of a DIAMOND file is made of metal? Also, floppy disks (all 5.25", and many 3.5" if the enclosure spring is removed) are made of PLASTIC.

#12 chachjones

chachjones

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 06:35 AM

I thought about this all day, and after coming up with a solution I was surprised to come home and read that the provided solution actually seemed much more complicated than the one I came up with, it's usually the other way around.

Alternate solution: Break one or both rods and the one who's pieces attract or repel eachother is your magnet.

how and/or with what can you break an iron rod. who are you the hulk. question...when you get mad, do you turn green?

#13 Incognitum

Incognitum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 11:36 AM

Alternate solution: Break one or both rods and the one who's pieces attract or repel eachother is your magnet.

how and/or with what can you break an iron rod. who are you the hulk. question...when you get mad, do you turn green?

I too was wondering how he purposed to do that, but it did give me the inspiration for the diamond file, so I wasn't going to razz him about it. But since you've got the ball rolling...

#14 KValin

KValin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 07:44 PM

See which one attracts the other?

#15 Garrek99

Garrek99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:39 AM

You can't use files and stuff because the puzzle says ithat there are no metal objects in the room. (No floppy discs either, probably)

Dude, what part of a DIAMOND file is made of metal? Also, floppy disks (all 5.25", and many 3.5" if the enclosure spring is removed) are made of PLASTIC.

Dude, diamond files aren't made of diamonds. They are ordinary files sprinkled with industrial quality diamond chards the type that can't be used for jewelry.

#16 cjkelton

cjkelton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 05:57 AM

The solution I first thought of was:

1. Rub one end of each rod together to make that end of the iron rod mag.
2. Flip one rod around and see if it attracts (not the mag) or repels (mag).

Don't know if it would work,

oh, Iron is not Steel, and it is pretty easy to get filings. You could use a concrete floor or something.

#17 Incognitum

Incognitum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 10:27 AM

Dude, diamond files aren't made of diamonds. They are ordinary files sprinkled with industrial quality diamond chards the type that can't be used for jewelry.

Alright guy, use a little imagination here, the pertinent part of the file IS diamond, and for the rest of it, there is no material on earth you could construct a file out of besides metal? Carbon composite, high resin plastics, fiberglass? ...There are myriad materials that could serve as the base for my file; why you gotta be a hater?

#18 jlw3962

jlw3962

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2007 - 07:01 PM

It's even easier than all that filing and breaking and stuff... Pick up one and try to pick up the other. The one that will pick up the other is the magnet.

#19 knothead999

knothead999

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

stick one rod to the other

#20 Incognitum

Incognitum

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 09:04 AM

It's even easier than all that filing and breaking and stuff... Pick up one and try to pick up the other. The one that will pick up the other is the magnet.

stick one rod to the other

What??!!?!?

So the two rods attract, yes, we know one is a magnet. The magnetic attraction between the rods is a function only of the distance between them and the power of the magnetic field. Holding the magnet will not increase it's energy flow and reveal it. If the magnet is strong enough to lift the rod off the table, it will also be strong enough to lift itself off the table when passing the rod over it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users