Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Magnet

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
103 replies to this topic

#91 robbo2050

robbo2050

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2008 - 07:53 AM

This can be solved with only these 2 items.

I recall learning in elementary that you can magnetize a metal rod (rod B) by running a magnet (rod A) over it several times in the same direction. While, if you run a single point of a metal bar (B) over a magnet (A), the entire metal bar (B) will not become magnetized. By attempting to magnetize with the other, you could tell which one was the magnet (A), by simply attempting to get the polls to push away after trying to use one to magnetize the other. If you find that neither of the ends of the rod that had been ran over the other repels one end of the other rod, then you will know that the rod that was ran over the other was not a magnet.

Thankyou Timm, as I read the question this is exactly what I thought of as well. Assuming what you say is true about magnetising an iron rod (which I also learned), this is logically sound.

Edited by robbo2050, 01 June 2008 - 07:58 AM.

#92 punky0829

punky0829

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 June 2008 - 09:25 PM

So would body piercings. LOL :P

#93 beckey

beckey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:50 PM

Well you rub the iron rods together so iron dust comes of. then you take this iron rod and you trom it over one of the rods.
the rod which is magnetic will make lines from north to south in the iron dust and the non magnetic rod will not
beckey

#94 firedragon6776

firedragon6776

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:28 PM

hold it up to my face and see if it sticks. you see i have a plate in my jaw. :P it works with fridge magnets it should work with a regular magnet. in my case if it sticks it's a positive magnet.

#95 BrendaBoop

BrendaBoop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 02:58 AM

Pick up one of the rods, and hold it over the other one, without the two touching eachother. If the one that you picked up is the magnet, it will draw the other one up, if it's the one still on the floor, it will draw the one you're holding toward the floor. (I think....)

#96 pnm

pnm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 06:47 AM

I think it wud work.Center of the magnet is nutral, so when we touch a rod to the center of other rod,if it sticks with it then the lying rod is iron rod ,otrherwise it is magnet rod.

#97 wayjo20

wayjo20

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:02 AM

this isn't quite a logic puzzle. magnetic rods have maximum attraction toward the ends and are neutral in the mid point. so, take the two rods and form a T. if the T stays, then the leg of the T is the magnet and the top of the metal. If the T doesn't stay, then the leg of the T is the metal and the top of the magnet.

#98 Sarbear

Sarbear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 02:46 AM

Spoiler for Ooooh

#99 RexTan

RexTan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

Magnets do not react with room temperature.

The colder one is the metal.

#100 novah

novah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:31 PM

Isnt pitch affected by magnetism? Also im pretty sure licking a magnet is diffrent than licking a metal.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users