Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Prime means, or mean primes?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:39 AM

A prime, N, is a number with no factors other than [1,N].
Can the arithmetic mean of two consecutive prime numbers be itself a prime number?
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#2 cpotting

cpotting

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

A prime, N, is a number with no factors other than [1,N].
Can the arithmetic mean of two consecutive prime numbers be itself a prime number?

Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question, but it seems to me that you are asking if in
(p1 + p2)/2 =p3
can p3 be prime.

If that is right then the answer is NO. You stated that the two primes are consecutive. Since p3 would fall between p1 and p2, then p1 and p2 could not be consecutive primes since another prime exists between them.

Is that correct, or have I missed something?

#3 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5918 posts

Posted 19 September 2007 - 08:00 PM

That's it.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users