Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Castle

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
93 replies to this topic

#81 hangman94

hangman94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 02:04 AM

Why do they need to get inside if they can canapult it? :D

#82 im with stupid

im with stupid

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 May 2008 - 11:20 PM

I have a Question ; Why do the conquerers need to get to the other side of the moat . They have already won the battle. Why not fill the moat in with the dead bodies of the defeated enemy then walk across .

#83 this_guy_lucas

this_guy_lucas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 10:56 PM

Castle - Back to the Logic Puzzles
A square medieval castle on a square island was under siege. All around the island, there was a 10 metre wide water moat. But the conquerors could make foot-bridges only 9.5 metres long. Nevertheless a wise man was able to figure out how to get over the water. What do you think was his advice?
(There's a place on the other side to put the bridge against, not just a sheer wall. the water moat has square corners - that section of the moat is about 14.1 metres wide.)

Spoiler for Solution

I hate to belinger a dead issue but I don't think your solution works. I don't understand the math behind your equations but I plugged the dimensions into a scale drawing program and the only way your diagonal solution can work is if the boards are completely unsupported at the ends. The dimensions can meet (perhaps a better word would be span) the required distances but they are not supported and will fall in the moat. Hopefully I'm not missing something obvious.

Posted Image

#84 this_guy_lucas

this_guy_lucas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 08:36 PM

I hate to belinger a dead issue but I don't think your solution works. I don't understand the math behind your equations but I plugged the dimensions into a scale drawing program and the only way your diagonal solution can work is if the boards are completely unsupported at the ends. The dimensions can meet (perhaps a better word would be span) the required distances but they are not supported and will fall in the moat. Hopefully I'm not missing something obvious.

Yeah... I guess I made up a word (belinger). Sorry about that. Not sure where it came from.

#85 logic seeker

logic seeker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 May 2008 - 01:16 PM

you just have to put a foot bridge across the bridge and then just put one in the middle of it and it would work

#86 mstallbaum

mstallbaum

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 June 2008 - 09:25 PM

Doesn't the bridge float. Use it like a boat.

#87 blondeclaire

blondeclaire

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:42 PM

i'd buy a 10m+ ladder from ye olde b&q and crawl across it using it as a bridge ^_^

#88 beckey

beckey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 June 2008 - 02:53 PM

I would just put 1 bridge across the corner and the other from the middle of that bridge the edge of the island. Like so:

that was my idea too ....

#89 Josborn94

Josborn94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2008 - 03:14 AM

or u could put the ladders in half a foot closer

#90 OrcasIsland

OrcasIsland

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:27 AM

well, you could have the 9.5 foot long board and have a person have his legs tied to the board (maybe a captive) and then the army could walk across the person and the board, i am probably wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users