Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Castle

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
93 replies to this topic

#21 wukupdemon

wukupdemon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:01 PM

Castle - solution
You can put one foot-bridge over one corner (thus a triangle is created). Then from the middle of this foot-bridge lay another foot-bridge to the edge (corner) of the castle. You can make a few easy equations confirming that this is enough.

going of what the soultion claims... does he mean 1 ft, or 1M?
or, does he say 1 ft to imply 1/3 M?

thats why i started saying 'unit length' as opposed to M or ft

#22 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1344 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 04:37 PM

Castle - solution
You can put one foot-bridge over one corner (thus a triangle is created). Then from the middle of this foot-bridge lay another foot-bridge to the edge (corner) of the castle. You can make a few easy equations confirming that this is enough.

going of what the soultion claims... does he mean 1 ft, or 1M?
or, does he say 1 ft to imply 1/3 M?

thats why i started saying 'unit length' as opposed to M or ft

unit length = metres
footbridge = a bridge designed for pedestrians

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#23 Slick_Rick9009

Slick_Rick9009

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 July 2007 - 09:17 PM

but why do you say 8.5 unit thength of bridge is being used to complete the diagonal bridge when the bridges are 9.5 and not 8.5 meters long?

from the way i read it i assumed that the bridge can only be 9.5 M and only one bridge can be made. Therefore if one 1M was used on the diagonal, only 8.5M of bridge would be able to be made with the remaning material

I see what you meant by it now.

#24 EZTORRES

EZTORRES

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

What everyone seems to be missing is that the equations tell us that the solution "should" work. Practically, it would not work. The bridge to the castle would have to be supported by the land and the other bridge. According to the equations, the "distance" from the castle to the other bridge is exactly 9.5. At least that's what I see.

#25 yumpie7

yumpie7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 July 2007 - 06:25 PM

just f****** swim

#26 yumpie7

yumpie7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 July 2007 - 12:05 PM

build 2! and attach them!

#27 Symbol

Symbol

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 August 2007 - 03:24 AM

You walk across, because the moat is only .5 feet deep.

#28 rollem78

rollem78

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:43 PM

OK, you guys are ridiculous with your lashing, draining, and jumping. The problem should have stated that the conquerors only had 2 pieces of plank, each 9.5 m long. This is an easy puzzle, but I am impressed with some of the ingenuity. I see the last poster is the only one who got it right.

#29 Naruki

Naruki

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

I see the last poster is the only one who got it right.

You're the blind guy in the land of one-eyed kings, aren't you?

#30 aggrrssive

aggrrssive

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 August 2007 - 08:38 PM

For all you swimmers.. Maybe the moat is 20 meters deep and filled with sharks that have friggin' laser beams attached to their heads.
In that case, we could build a large wooden rabbit and leave it by the front door. When the French lower the gate and bring the gift inside, Lancelot and I would jump out, not only catching the French by surprise, but totally unarmed!

..or if we go with the wandering kids analogy: They found just two planks that were cut to 9.5 meters length and wanted to build their bridge to Terebithia over a 10 meter moat filled with leaches and nasty water that only that kid with greasy hair who sits in the back of the class picking his nose would even think of swimming in.
In this case, they would find a flimsy old rope hanging from a nearby tree and swing across with no explainable way of returning (although they always did). One of the kids would eventually die in this endeavor while the other was off carousing with his music teacher.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users