Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Biology

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

Virile Microbes - Back to the Logic Puzzles
A Petri dish hosts a healthy colony of bacteria. Once a minute every bacterium divides into two. The colony was founded by a single cell at noon. At exactly 12:43 (43 minutes later) the Petri dish was half full.
At what time will the dish be full?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

Spoiler for old wording

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 gloohead

gloohead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:19 PM

Actually - when a cell divides each cell starts out 1/2 as big. So even though the number doubles every minute - the same CAN'T be said about the size. So if the plate was full at 12:00, it was pretty much full at 11:59. Growth and division are not the same thing.

#3 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:59 PM

That's right. And that's why I clearly stated in the puzzle that:

Let's say some primitive organisms divide themselves every minute in two equal parts ...

So I made the condition that their sizes are equal.

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

#4 aman2big

aman2big

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 07:14 AM

So I made the condition that their sizes are equal

sorry I could'nt let this one go, but

divide themselves every minute in two equal parts

doesn’t make the condition that their sizes are equal true...you can cut a slice of toast in two equal parts and it doesn’t mean you have two slices of toast the same size as the original before you divided.
the question wasn't explained clear enough and should be edited.

#5 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:53 AM

You are right - I read the puzzle too fast. I changed it accordingly.

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

#6 Skumbag

Skumbag

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 09:35 PM

Actually - when a cell divides each cell starts out 1/2 as big. So even though the number doubles every minute - the same CAN'T be said about the size. So if the plate was full at 12:00, it was pretty much full at 11:59. Growth and division are not the same thing.

?
That means that the total size of all the resultant cells (no matter how many there were) would forever equal the size of the original cell! Babies aren't born microscopically small, you know.

That is not a case of a cell dividing, it's a case of a cell slowly falling apart!

#7 fosley

fosley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:15 PM

I think this is what Gloohead was saying:

Time......Cell Count.......Area Covered (assume vertical thickness doesn't change)
11:58.....500...............10.0 cm?
11:59.....1000..............10.1 cm?
12:00.....2000..............10.2 cm?

Basically, the number of cells keeps doubling every minute, but the individual cells don't grow from tiny to big every minute.

Of course, I would tend towards thinking the cells wouldn't divide until they'd reached a certain size, so if they were doubling in number every minute, they'd probably also double in size every minute. (And consuming twice as much food every minute. . .)

#8 lovinitmtboy

lovinitmtboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 June 2007 - 02:46 PM

I am going to have to disagree with the answer, because the saucer could have potentialy been "full" at 11:00, or even 10:00, If it is full, the resulting divisions are no longer contained. So the answer is not known. Unless I totally missed something.

#9 larryhl

larryhl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:06 PM

the question isn't worded very well. it still says "Let's say some primitive organisms divide themselves every minute in two equal parts which also divide the next minute and so on." 2 equal parts doesn't mean the same size as original organism.

a better wording would be "Let's say some primitive organisms divide themselves every minute in two equal parts that are the same size as the original organism, and which also divide the next minute and so on."

#10 mynameisjjonas

mynameisjjonas

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 04:59 AM

I have to agree with lovinitmtboy. There was no basic limit on the start time. So, let's assume it was started the previous day at noon. It would definitely be full at noon the day it was checked.
I still think this was a good logic puzzle, just vague.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users