Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Truth in packaging II

Best Answer storm, 05 March 2008 - 03:49 AM

Spoiler for Eaiser than the other one..
Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#11 storm

storm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 05 March 2008 - 03:49 AM   Best Answer

Spoiler for Eaiser than the other one..

#12 ihaveanswers

ihaveanswers

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:57 AM

What If you get a gun and shoot the boxes intil you can see through the boxes.
( you never said anything about anyone else oppening the boxes) so ha :P

#13 SpelChexRool

SpelChexRool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 04:32 AM

My 40% of a nickel...

Spoiler for Truth in packaging II

#14 scuttill

scuttill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:58 PM

I don't think this is possible as stated. You should change the "rules". Merely stating that every box is labeled incorrectly says nothing about that those labels are the only labels possible. For example, suppose that all three boxes have bronze coins in them, or that perhaps one of the boxes is a mix of bronze and gold coins. The rules don't state that either is impossible. Therefore, it is impossible to determine how the boxes should be labeled based upon the rules presented.

In math terms, with 3 coins possible, there are actually 7 possibilities for the contents of each box (assuming each box must contain at least one item). Merely taking one coin out of exactly one box tells you nothing about the other two. There is no guarantee of mutually independent events here.

#15 I'm not Super mommy

I'm not Super mommy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 05:30 PM

Not within the parameters of the puzzle.

Not true. The puzzle is specifically talking to the reader by saying "You". Hence, you can and may ask someone else to asses whats inside the boxes.

#16 spinetta

spinetta

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:43 PM

Boy, did you screw this up. Coercive logic is hard enough without mixing up the relevent facts and restrictions. Can we remove an item or not? Are they gold, silver, and a combination; or are they gold silver and bronze? Did you ever hear of proofreading before submission?

#17 largeneal

largeneal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 07:04 PM

Boy, did you screw this up. Coercive logic is hard enough without mixing up the relevent facts and restrictions. Can we remove an item or not? Are they gold, silver, and a combination; or are they gold silver and bronze? Did you ever hear of proofreading before submission?

Hmmm - Bonanova is too nice of a fellow to provide retort on this, so I will. If you notice, he has over 1500 posts on this forum. Not only does he provide some of the most insightful answers, he creates some of the most challenging and fun riddles on this site. On top of that, he writes them in a way for all to understand. If you are incapable of comprehending this sort of puzzle, you have two options: 1. politely ask for elucidation, 2. go to website www.stuff-for-whiny-3-year-olds.com. BUT, since it appears to be a combination, I'll address your questions:

"Can we remove an item or not?"

"You can't open any of the boxes.
You can't remove any item from any of the boxes.
You can't even touch any of the boxes."

That was located in the original post - I can see why you were confused (not really, actually)

"Are they gold, silver, and a combination; or are they gold silver and bronze?"

"You're also told that the boxes all contain coins of a single type: gold, silver or bronze."

Once again, that was in the original post. Once again, very hard to understand (eye roll).

LASTLY, my favorite part,

"Did you ever hear of proofreading before submission?"

haha...hahahahaha...HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Spinetta, at least you can write halfway coherently. Next time incorporate some reading skills equivalent to those of a toddler and your writing will be relevant to the topic at hand.

#18 cronos12

cronos12

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

"Are they gold, silver, and a combination; or are they gold silver and bronze?"
"You're also told that the boxes all contain coins of a single type: gold, silver or bronze."
Once again, that was in the original post. Once again, very hard to understand (eye roll).

For someone so condescending, you should really consider what the person is asking...

They're wondering if the labels still read "Gold, Silver, and a Combination" or if they now read "Gold, Silver, and Bronze" since the original poster tacked on the Gold, silver, and bronze segment at the end, on an already existing puzzle, to which his first addendum had already changed a stated part of the puzzle.

It was a legitimate question, and certainly not something that should have been mocked.

#19 Hanz

Hanz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:26 PM

I have the solutions

1- as we may get one coin from one of the boxes, I will get a coin from box 3. This box ia labeled as "Gold or Silver", and since it is wrongly labled, then the box is either Gold or Silver. So, the Box will have the type of the picked coin. Suppose the coin is Gold, then the actual content of this box is Gold.

2- turn to the box labled as Silver, box 2. This box is of course not Silver (wrong labled) and it is not also Gold (becasue we just discovered the Gold box in step 1 above), then it must be the box of "Gold and Silver".

3- Then, of course the remaining box (box 1) is actually the Silver box. The proof is that it can not be the Gold one (worng labled and we already dicovered the Gold box in step 1) and it can not be "Gold and Silver" (becasue we also discovered this box in step 2). Then it is the silver one.

simply !! :huh:
hesham

#20 brianfree

brianfree

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2008 - 02:15 AM

Three boxes are all labeled incorrectly, but you must determine their contents, nevertheless.
The labels on the boxes read as follows:

[box 1] gold coins
[box 2] silver coins
[box 3] gold coins or silver coins

To gain the information you need to determine the contents of each box,
you may remove a single item from one of the boxes. You may not look
into the boxes, nor pick them up and shake them, etc.

Can this be done? If so, how? If not, why not?

Wait. That was the old puzzle.
The rules have been changed.

You can't open any of the boxes.
You can't remove any item from any of the boxes.
You can't even touch any of the boxes.

Wait.
You're also told that the boxes all contain coins of a single type: gold, silver or bronze.

I can't touch the boxes or open them or even take a coin out......so all I have to go on are the signs. So I think this is the answer. Box#3 is niether gold or silver becuase the sign is labeled wrong. Box#3 is bronze, Box#1 silver , Box#2 gold by elimination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users