Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 06:43 AM

Spoiler for my guess

That wouldn't work if all 26 stones weighed, say 23 lb each. (They don't have to weigh different per OP).

However, I can lower my bid to $50 (using only 3 whole number weighs).
Spoiler for 3 weighs

Actually, Imran already used same idea, but didn't optimize the solution.

Edited by Prime, 12 October 2008 - 06:50 AM.

Past prime, actually.

#12 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5833 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

However, I can lower my bid to $50 (using only 3 whole number weighs).

Spoiler for 3 weighs

Bingo. ;)

Honorable Mention to Imran. B))
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#13 imran

imran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:33 PM

Kudos to Prime.

So one should not always trust what bonanova writes :D . That 12$ was a deception :o

#14 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 09:33 PM

Kudos to Prime.

So one should not always trust what bonanova writes :D . That 12$ was a deception :o

Thanks. So I won the bid and stand to earn $20. However, I don't feel that we have exhausted the potential of this puzzle. For one thing, I'm still looking for a 2-weigh solution. And although, I haven't found one yet, neither have I proved it impossible.

Consider a follow up weighing job:
There are just two rocks, which can weigh a whole number of pounds from 1 to 4. You are asked to use only one reference weight of your choosing to determine the weight of the two rocks.

Past prime, actually.

#15 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 05:31 AM

Consider a follow up weighing job:
There are just two rocks, which can weigh a whole number of pounds from 1 to 4. You are asked to use only one reference weight of your choosing to determine the weight of the two rocks.

Disregard that. I made a mistake. You need more than 2 rocks to solve that. See my new topic.

Past prime, actually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users