Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5775 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

You learn of a weighing job that's up for bids.
You're out to make some money, so you look into it.

Some guy has 26 rocks, weighing from 1 to 26 pounds, inclusive, not necessarily distinct.
The stones each weigh a whole number of pounds, and the job is to label all the stones with their correct weight.
You have a balance - you know the kind - that gives one of three outcomes for the Left and Right pans:
  • L<R
  • L=R
  • L>R
Luckily, you have an infinite supply of labels marked 1 to 26; what you don't have is any known weights.
You call the warehouse and find that whole-numbered weights cost $10 apiece and arbitrary-numbered weights cost $12 each.
Given that you want the job if you can clear $20 profit, what should you bid?
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#2 Chuck Rampart

Chuck Rampart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:31 PM

Some guy has 26 rocks, weighing from 1 to 26 pounds, inclusive, not necessarily distinct.
The stones each weigh a whole number of pounds, and the job is to label all the stones with their correct weight.
You have a balance - you know the kind - that gives one of three outcomes for the Left and Right pans:

• L<R
  • L=R
  • L>R
Luckily, you have an infinite supply of labels marked 1 to 26; what you don't have is any known weights.
You call the warehouse and find that whole-numbered weights cost $10 apiece and arbitrary-numbered weights cost $12 each.

Are the weights of the labels uniform?

#3 Ujank

Ujank

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 10:36 PM

• L<R
  • L=R
  • L>R

What do you mean by "what should you bid?"

#4 SkirlGirl

SkirlGirl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 October 2008 - 11:19 PM

Spoiler for The lowest bid is...

#5 imran

imran

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:24 AM

Well I have found one solution. What I read from the puzzle is that a weight of let say 10 pounds or 20 pounds, both cost 10$ each. And if I have to use let say 10 such weights I need to bid 120$.

Spoiler for my solution then

#6 Masterminded

Masterminded

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:29 AM

i did not get this at all

#7 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 02:40 AM

The merchant breaking weight into 4 pieces problem by Bachet de Meziriac, published in 1624, shows how you can weigh the whole number of pounds between 1 and 40 with just ...
Spoiler for Similar problem

So it looks like a high bid, but since no one offered better -- $60, buying 4 whole numbered weighs.

(I didn't quite get what arbitrary numbered weighs are. Fractional?)

Past prime, actually.

#8 Chuck Rampart

Chuck Rampart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:19 AM

The merchant breaking weight into 4 pieces problem by Bachet de Meziriac, published in 1624, shows how you can weigh the whole number of pounds between 1 and 40 with just ...

Spoiler for Similar problem

So it looks like a high bid, but since no one offered better -- $60, buying 4 whole numbered weighs.

(I didn't quite get what arbitrary numbered weighs are. Fractional?)

I assumed arbitrary meant any non-integer real number. I'm not sure how that would be useful, though.

One more question - do you have to buy all the weights at once, or can you decide which next one to buy based on the results of one weighing?

#9 Prime

Prime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:39 AM

I assumed arbitrary meant any non-integer real number. I'm not sure how that would be useful, though.

One more question - do you have to buy all the weights at once, or can you decide which next one to buy based on the results of one weighing?

I thought of that. However, since you bid before taking the contract, I assume, you must count on the worst case scenario.

Past prime, actually.

#10 Elessar

Elessar

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:01 AM

Spoiler for my guess

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users