Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Toast

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:06 PM

Mother makes tasty toast in a small pan. After toasting one side of a slice, she turns it over. Each side takes 30 seconds.
The pan can only hold two slices. How can she toast both sides of three slices in 1 & 1/2 instead of 2 minutes?

#2 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:22 PM

The only solution I can come up with is that she splits the third slice down the middle and makes two thinner slices out of it and puts both original sides face down on the pan. Not sure if that violates any conditions of your riddle since there are actually four slices now though.

#3 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:52 PM

Nope. All the toast stays full.

#4 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 08:08 PM

Was it meant to be this easy?
Spoiler for Solution

Have I missed anything?

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#5 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 09:28 PM

She puts two slices in the pan; after 30 seconds she has toasted one side of each. She turns over the first slice, takes the second from the pan, and in its place puts the third slice. After the second half minute the first slice is done and the other two are half done. In the last 30 seconds she finishes the second and third slices.

Yep. It's that easy. But lots of people miss the solution. I did. (And Martini did)

It's automatic assumption that you have to toast each piece entirely...

#6 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:17 PM

Yep. It's that easy. But lots of people miss the solution. I did. (And Martini did)

It's automatic assumption that you have to toast each piece entirely...

Actually, it did cross my mind. But I thought the point of the riddle stating "After toasting one side of a slice, she turns it over" was to add the condition that putting any slices aside for later toasting wasn't an option.

#7 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5824 posts

Posted 30 August 2007 - 10:36 PM

I got here too late to get my answer in, but here's my reasoning without reading what must be the only solution:

[1] There's enough time to get the job done.
[2] If you do two slices in the first two time slots, you lose - cuz you cant do both sides of the third slice at the same time.
[3] So you have to involve the third slice during the 2nd time slot.
[4] Then there's only one possibility for the 3rd time slot, and it's the answer.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#8 Duh Puck

Duh Puck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 12:04 PM

Good problem. Simple, yet not obvious ...

Spoiler for solution ...

#9 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 06:42 PM

Yep you guys all nailed it ;D

#10 funandatraveler

funandatraveler

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

How bout toasting one side of two slices=30 seconds, then remove one slice (already toasted on one side), toast the other side of one slice (completely toasted now) and the one side of piece number 3=1 minute, now take the completely toasted piece out and replace it with the piece that is toasted on one side (placing the untoasted side down) and flipping the piece that is already in the pan=1.5 minutes and both sides toasted. There was probably an easier way to explain it but I think that does it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users