Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Ploper

Ploper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:38 AM

Personally, I believe that love exists. I can't really explain why, I just.. Do.
but I recently noticed something, and I may be wrong in my thinking about this, so call me on it, if I am.
Any time you are overcome with some emotion, be it happiness, sadness, pain, etc. You cry. It's just your body's way of releasing all the extra horomones from your emotions.
I'm young and immature, and have only felt what I believe to be a small amount of what love really can be.
But any time I've been overcome with love, or deeply in love, or whatever, I've never cried. I've also never heard of anyone crying because of love.
So is it a real emotion? Or one we've conjured up because we've been tricked by its illusion... Or whatever.
Looking forward to any input, hope I explained this well

#2 crazypainter

crazypainter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2497 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:08 AM

Oh Ploper there are many theories..
The lust we feel in the start is an anethesia to keep us together with the person.
Then we wake up and find that this person pushes all our buttons. Funny, its like
we choose the perfect person who will help us deal with all our issues.
Ah psychology!!

#3 puzzlegirl

puzzlegirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1450 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 04:48 AM

But any time I've been overcome with love, or deeply in love, or whatever, I've never cried. I've also never heard of anyone crying because of love.

Never cried because of love huh? Well, my dear, give it time! My guess is that you will shed a few tears spawned from your over-abundance of love on your wedding day, when you first look upon the face of your new baby, when that little baby says for the first time "I love you, Dad" without you having solicited the comment. If you are at all open to your emotions, you will without a doubt, some day weep for no other reason than for the sheer sake of LOVE.

#4 Yoruichi-san

Yoruichi-san

"That Woman"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3395 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 06:46 AM

Wow...where to start...

The term "love" is ambiguous...everyone who tries to define it comes up with a different definition and a lot of ppl refuse to even try...

There is definitely a brain chemical response/shift that has physical and emotional effects, when ppl feel an "attraction" to others. This plays a large part in the continuation of our species. And not only because it promotes reproductive functions, but also because it causes humans to be protective about the people they "love", their families, whether by blood or bond (i.e. spouses, partners, etc.). Without this protective instinct that causes grouping, humans would not have survived.

But I think that now, when basic necessities of survival are in the back of the minds of those of us who live in industrialized countries, we're searching for a deeper "connection". We are searching for someone who can "understand" us and who appreciates our personalities. Using the Yin-Yang as a representation, I think we are looking for someone whose personality is the best compliment to ours, that is, it fits with ours. If the pieces don't fit well together, there will be poking and gaps and tension that will eventually lead to separation. I think we are searching for our compliments, and when we find them, we will want to be together and stay together. To use that phrase from Jerry McGuire...we are searching for the person who best "completes" us...
Women are definitely stronger. We are [Fe]males, after all...

Some of what makes me me is real, some of what makes me me is imaginary...I guess I'm just complex. ;P

<3 BBC's Sherlock, the series and the man. "Smart is the new sexy."

Chromatic Witch links now on my 'About Me' page! Episode 3 is finally here!

When life hands me lemons, I make invisible ink.

#5 octopuppy

octopuppy

• VIP
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1303 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:39 AM

Personally, I believe that love exists. I can't really explain why, I just.. Do.

Believe it

but I recently noticed something, and I may be wrong in my thinking about this, so call me on it, if I am.
Any time you are overcome with some emotion, be it happiness, sadness, pain, etc. You cry. It's just your body's way of releasing all the extra horomones from your emotions.
I'm young and immature, and have only felt what I believe to be a small amount of what love really can be.
So is it a real emotion? Or one we've conjured up because we've been tricked by its illusion... Or whatever.
Looking forward to any input, hope I explained this well

Well you're young but judging by your posts you're very mature. However you probably are too young to have experienced love in its most intense forms. IMHO people of your age tend (naturally and quite sensibly) not to form excessively strong attachments in love, even though of course it is still an emotional rollercoaster. Also when you are a teenager you experience a lot of things very intensely, but the emotional intensity is not so much "genuine", rather it is amplified by all those crazy hormones.
As to whether love is an emotion, I would say that it involves emotion but love has a a great many meanings and forms. In its most meaningful form it isn't really about emotion at all. It's more about knowing what you value. That may sound a little boring, and maybe it is, but the emotional rollercoaster of passionate love is really just a prelude to the genuine commitment of stable relationships. In many ways the passionate side, while fun, is very much an illusion, it's just your brain getting high on lurve chemicals. People say that love is blind and on balance I'd have to agree, it's amazing how people in love can lack perspective. Maybe that's not such a bad thing, it means that even people with very flawed personalities can find love.
But the stable, boring kind of love is genuine, largely because it isn't about emotion. I would think it most likely that the people you truly love the most would be your parents and (if any) siblings. Your relationship with them might not be so thrilling, but that kind of love lasts longer and means a lot more.

#6 akaslickster

akaslickster

SLICK

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4854 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 08:47 AM

Love, in a nutshell. By me. Definition: When you trust to the ultimate extent of the other being and will do anything in your power to cherish and guide and help in times of need. Puzzlegirl fit the persona, so I love her with my heart. :wub:
Also to feel the familyness of the other as a deep respect to only one such as.

Edited by akaslickster, 23 September 2008 - 08:50 AM.

Posted ImageThe place where peace begins is within oneself. by Slick

#7 puzzlegirl

puzzlegirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1450 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:27 PM

Believe it

One quick comment and then I'll keep any other for the Thiest discussion:

How can one state with conviction that Love definitely exists when there is no scientific evidence of it; yet adamently deny that God exists? Sound like a belief based on percieved personal convenience. B))

Uh, btw, for those of you who haven't heard: God IS Love.

Edited by puzzlegirl, 23 September 2008 - 02:29 PM.

#8 puzzlegirl

puzzlegirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1450 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

Love, in a nutshell. By me. Definition: When you trust to the ultimate extent of the other being and will do anything in your power to cherish and guide and help in times of need. Puzzlegirl fit the persona, so I love her with my heart. :wub:
Also to feel the familyness of the other as a deep respect to only one such as.

You always know the right thing to say, my sunshine superman. I love you too! :wub:

#9 unreality

unreality

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6370 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:19 PM

One quick comment and then I'll keep any other for the Thiest discussion:

How can one state with conviction that Love definitely exists when there is no scientific evidence of it; yet adamently deny that God exists? Sound like a belief based on percieved personal convenience. B))

"no scientific evidence of love"? You've got to be joking lol. But somehow I don't think you are:

1) "God" is a clearly-defined object, of which there is absolutely no scientific evidence or support - in actuality, all clear-thinking logic and scientific discoveries essentially go against this idea

2) "Love" is not as clearly-defined, but in any of its 'forms', there is ample scientific evidence to declare it a fact. It's like saying "there's no evidence that 'freedom' exists" - which is ridiculous, because Freedom is a concept defined and invented by humans, and represents a broad array of general situations, all of which exist. Just like love, they are both "invisible nouns", like 'friendship' or 'hatred', but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Depending on how you define "love" and what you put under its umbrella, there is overwhelming scientific evidence for the existence of love

It's like when theists pull the "faith in your friend" card, ie, "You trust a friend to return a DVD, you have FAITH in them" - that's a figure of speech, not actual religious faith - it doesn't count as faith since you would have tons of evidence that your friend is trustworthy, etc. It WOULD be a leap of faith if a random stranger asked to borrow a DVD, and you let them. However, say they look like a really nice person, and you saw them in the grocery store helping an old lady. Then you might be more inclined to take that leap of faith, but that's because you have more evidence to the 'trustworthyness' of the person in question, and the leap of faith is less of a gap.

anyway, I'm getting off topic. The point is, (1) saying there is no scientific evidence for love is ridiculous, (2) Zeus is Love, duh, everyone knows that, get it right :D, (3) why are you trying to incite a religious debate in any which topic when, if you stopped to think for a couple rational seconds, you could've saved yourself from posting the above post as well as saved me 10 minutes of typing this :P

#10 Impervious

Impervious

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2413 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 09:53 PM

Call me a cynic...which I know I am, but I think it is just an illusion. To me it is merely a word that is tossed around and has no meaning whatsoever. Sure there is an emotion in which you care very strongly for another and only wish to be with that one person. But it is a rare thing. If love is just that, then once one falls in love be it unrequited or not, then no other, in terms of a life partner, should fit into that category, especially in the matter of unrequited "love". If another falls into such category then one has never truly been "in love." This concept of "love" has been thought to be and is typically portrayed and romantic, and "lovey-dovey." But what about all the negative action caused by such feeling as well? What about those who go crazy, kill others, commit suicide out of "love?" In the matters of family, again it is just a word to describe the bond between family members. but that is what it is, just a very strong bond. Call it love if you want, but it is just a word used to describe what typically cannot be described, thus making it a facade, or an illusion if you will, for something much more different.

Edit: Sorry PG I suppose this means we cannot be. Slick she's all yours.

Edited by Impervious, 23 September 2008 - 10:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users