Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If you are honest...

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#41 emoobia

emoobia

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 08:18 AM

I may be wrong on all of this, so don't attack me.

Does true mean the same as honest? If a person was taught using a different system of measuring and thought he was 10 feet tall, he would be being dishonest to say he is not ten feet tall.
If he thought that the word "lie" meant "tell the truth" then answering yes to "do you lie" does not make him dishonest. So the only time he could not answer a question with yes is when he literally cannot answer the question. So death(or anything else making the man unable to talk, or communicate in any way known to another person) would be the correct answear.

I think that's what melchangs19 was looking for.

First post on the site btw :).

#42 cricket

cricket

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 April 2008 - 08:06 PM

are you guilty

#43 sunshipballoons

sunshipballoons

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

Does true mean the same as honest? If a person was taught using a different system of measuring and thought he was 10 feet tall, he would be being dishonest to say he is not ten feet tall.
If he thought that the word "lie" meant "tell the truth" then answering yes to "do you lie" does not make him dishonest. So the only time he could not answer a question with yes is when he literally cannot answer the question. So death(or anything else making the man unable to talk, or communicate in any way known to another person) would be the correct answear.

emoobia makes a great point. The question does not define "honest person." There is no reason that an honest person cannot sometimes tell a lie or say something that is inaccurate. Or, they could say something inaccurate, but in a manner to show that the answer you are giving isn't true.

The point is that, within the parameters of the question, there aren't a million or an infinite number of questions to which you can't answer yes. In fact, the answer is zero.

Q: Is the sky green?
A: Yes (nothing in the question preventing the honest person from saying something untrue)

Q: Are you an honest person?
A: Yes (true)

Q: Why is the sky blue?
A: Yes (nonsense answer, but not prohibited by the question as posed)

Q: Are you dead? (to a live person)
A: Yes (again, the question does not enjoin lying)

Edited by sunshipballoons, 10 April 2008 - 09:59 PM.

#44 Brandonb

Brandonb

The Accused

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3004 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 09:56 PM

ANSWER

Spoiler for !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Brandonb, 10 April 2008 - 10:03 PM.

#45 Following_my_dream

Following_my_dream

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 12:58 AM

I like the way you think emoobia. that's a great point. And what if the person was honest when you asked him the question but by the time that he went to answer, he had turned into a liar???

Acquiring mind... :)

#46 Benji

Benji

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 09:35 AM

I do beleive the answer you are looking for is Do you tell lies?
lhiats Ben

#47 frozen_in_fire

frozen_in_fire

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

something that is not a yes or no question

#48 mindwarp

mindwarp

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:43 PM

"If you are an honest person, what is one question you cannot answer with a "Yes" ?"

My first thought was "Have you ever lied?"

Then, I thought of one of my favorites, "What is the square root of sixty-nine?"

I'm in agreement with all posts expressing dissatisfaction with the wording of the question. I think it should be posed as:

If you are an honest person, what is a question you cannot honestly answer with a "Yes", although that's the correct answer?

#49 manda4363

manda4363

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:05 PM

[quote name='mindwarp' date='Apr 24 2008, 07:43 PM' post='27839']
"If you are an honest person, what is one question you cannot answer with a "Yes" ?"

I am a black honest person, ask me if I am white and I will say "no"...If you are an honest person you can't be dead, it dose not say you were an honest person. Ask me if I am dishonest "no".... :wacko:

#50 CuteSparklezGirl

CuteSparklezGirl

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 01:58 PM

The person who posted the riddle was looking for this answer: Are you a liar?
This was the first thought that came to my head while I read the riddle.
Apparnetly, This is the answer.
This is not a difficult riddle, so I don't get what you guys are all arguing about.
:) :huh: :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users