Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If you are honest...

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#31 zm mz

zm mz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:17 AM

the answer is "Are you dishonest?"

#32 HDL13

HDL13

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:31 AM

Do you lie?

#33 Sharpshark

Sharpshark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:39 PM

Easy, "Are you a liar?" or maybe "Are you dead?" or even "Are you not standing where you are."

#34 trojan2k8

trojan2k8

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 08:47 PM

are you dead, are you a liar,

#35 nando

nando

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 10:26 PM

how old are you ?

#36 sunrise

sunrise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:58 PM

I think Melchang wants us to think inside of a logical box.
That would lead to an answer like "Do you tell lies?"
Melchang, does that cover it?

Parable.

A Freshman physics student prized his freedom of approach when he solved problems. So when his final exam asked him to find the height of a building using only a barometer, his answer was to throw the barometer from the roof of the building and time the sound of its hitting the pavement. From the speed of sound and the acceleration due to gravity [ignoring air resistance] he could compute the building's height.

When the prof gave him a failing grade, he appealed. Upon being given a 2nd chance, he said he would tie the barometer to a long string and measure the period of the pendulum that made - again, from the building's roof - and compute the length of the pendulum. Anticipating another failing grade, he gave an additional answer: measuring the length of the barometer, the length of the shadow it cast on the ground and the length of the shadow cast on the ground by the building would give the answer using proportions. He got another failing grade.

He finally appealed to the Dean of the school. In a meeting among the three principals, the Dean gave the student one more shot at giving the "right" answer: measuring the barometric pressure on the sidewalk and on the roof and converting the difference in pressure to inches of air. A really stupid way to use a barometer and one that would require unimaginable precision. Nevertheless that was the answer the prof wanted.

The student would have none of it. He approached the Dean and gave his final solution:

"I would take the barometer to the basement of the building and knock on the superintendent's door. When he answered, I would say to him: 'Sir, I have this beautiful barometer, which I will give to you if you will tell me the height of this building.'"

The Dean gave the student an A.

the problem says, using ONLY a barometer. In the first solution, he needs a stop watch, in second, he needs a measuring tape (to find the length of string) and stop watch, a measuring tape in third as well (to find the length of shadow of building. The fourth one fits the criteria, but is not a reliable one (depends whether the professor accepts the barometer bribe, which is unlikely in this case of professor being constantly bugged by the freshman).

#37 Kay

Kay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 06:00 PM

the problem says, using ONLY a barometer. In the first solution, he needs a stop watch, in second, he needs a measuring tape (to find the length of string) and stop watch, a measuring tape in third as well (to find the length of shadow of building. The fourth one fits the criteria, but is not a reliable one (depends whether the professor accepts the barometer bribe, which is unlikely in this case of professor being constantly bugged by the freshman).

Come on, now. We don't need to nitpick apart a story that probably never actually happened. The point of that story is the moral of 'thinking outside the box', not whether the student actually followed his teacher's instructions or not.

Sorry if i sounded rude, and sorry if you were just kidding, but your post just bugged me a little.

#38 sunrise

sunrise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:17 PM

Come on, now. We don't need to nitpick apart a story that probably never actually happened. The point of that story is the moral of 'thinking outside the box', not whether the student actually followed his teacher's instructions or not.

Sorry if i sounded rude, and sorry if you were just kidding, but your post just bugged me a little.

Are you bonanova?

#39 Julik

Julik

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 08:42 PM

If you are an honest person, what is one question you cannot answer with a "Yes" ?

there are alot of questions... be more specific
<_< -_-

#40 sunrise

sunrise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

Even this is an answer:

If you are an honest person, what is one question you cannot answer with a "Yes" ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users