Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If you are honest...

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#11 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:26 PM

In addition, the problem only defines the question as a question. It doesn't even limit it to a true/false or yes/no format. It's impossible to deduce what the original poster meant from his post. All of these assumed answers have taken the original post a step further and have incorporated their own limits and/or definitions to the problem and THEN they went about answering. I'd like to hear from the original poster what he or she had in mind from the original.

#12 melchangs19

melchangs19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 01:47 AM

Aaron is right!Are you dead? You CANNOT, at whatevaer point and in any situation honestly answer "yes", whereas all other questions can at some point be answered yes, according to situations and environments.

#13 tanric

tanric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:12 AM

Aaron is right!Are you dead? You CANNOT, at whatevaer point and in any situation honestly answer "yes", whereas all other questions can at some point be answered yes, according to situations and environments.

If we are looking at all situations and environments, you COULD possibly answer yes honestly to this question.
Say for instance there is a error and you are pronounced "legally dead" then answering yes would be correct and honest (legally speaking).
Then again...if you are asleep and you dream of someone asking you if you are asleep, you could also honestly answer yes. This throws my answer out the window too.
Using these and similar arguments, there isn't a question that fits the scenario in all situations

#14 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 02:29 AM

whereas all other questions can at some point be answered yes, according to situations and environments.

No. What situation can I say yes to "Do you always lie?" or "Are you ten feet tall"?

Please consider other answers when you are given solutions that differ from the one you're looking for.

#15 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 27 August 2007 - 06:20 AM

How about...

"Do you refuse to answer this question"?

If he answers "Yes," he lies.
If he refuses to answer [attempting an affirmative response] he hasn't answered "Yes".

Melchang, are you saying this question can, at some point be answered yes, according to situations and environments?

Vidi vici veni.

#16 Sinisteer

Sinisteer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:19 PM

If you are an honest person, what is one question you cannot answer with a "Yes" ?

Simplify your thoughts.

Ask, "Are you a liar?"

#17 Emapher

Emapher

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 03:29 PM

HA! WOW FINALLY ! THATS WHAT I WAS THINKING AND I JSUT READ THRU ALL THESE ANSWERS THINKING WHY HASNT ANYONE SAID "ARE YOU A LIAR"

W2G

"ARE YOU A LIAR?"

RIGHT?

#18 MattGreer

MattGreer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 08:11 PM

I think Melchang wants us to think inside of a logical box.
That would lead to an answer like "Do you tell lies?"
Melchang, does that cover it?

Parable.

...stuff deleted

I had heard that one before. Here's a reference: http://www.snopes.co...m/barometer.asp

Great story!

#19 Bad Dog

Bad Dog

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 06:06 AM

It doesn't matter if they could be true. What matters is what is true at the time the question is asked. If the sky is not green when I'm asked the question (and it usually isn't), then I (an honest person [assuming we are defining "honest person" as one who always tells the truth to the best of his knowledge]) can't answer "yes". And I'm 5' 11" regardless of where I'm standing.

B))
You are taller on the moon than you are on earth...

Next .. how about another good question... : Are you dishonest? This would assume that an honest person is always honest. I would say that I am an honest person though I have not always been.

Time to move on to a real puzzle.

-_-

#20 wise man

wise man

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 12:03 AM

If you are an honest person, what is one question you cannot answer with a "Yes" ?
Obviously, the question is meant to be yes or no.
Also, if you are an "Honest" person, the one question you cannot answer Yes to, would be "are you a liar?", or a question that doubts the person's honesty. Its really not that hard to figure out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users