Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

If you are honest...

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 melchangs19

melchangs19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:04 AM

If you are an honest person, what is one question you cannot answer with a "Yes" ?

#2 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:30 AM

Are you ten feet tall. Do you always lie. Is the sky green. Etc., etc., etc.

#3 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 06:24 AM

No doubt. WTF? HAHAHA! :o

OR what about, "What is the capitol of Brazil?" or "Why do zebras have stripes?" or "Why is the sky blue?"

:lol:

#4 melchangs19

melchangs19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 02:31 PM

WOW!! PLEASE DO SOME SERIOUS THINKING GUYS!! IF YOU LLOK AT THE QUESTION CAREFULLY YOU WILL REALISE THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN YOU SEE AT FIRST GLANCE!

#5 CHONG

CHONG

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:04 PM

:rolleyes: Is this a question ?

#6 Writersblock

Writersblock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

Melchang,

There may be more to this question in your mind, but you are not conveying the thought with your words. The questions says

If you are an honest person, what is one question you cannot answer with a "Yes" ?

The only terms that must be satisfied are:

1) Pose a question
2) Where "yes" cannot be the answer
3) Where the answer is honest

All of the questions Martini and I posted satisfy this.

If you think that there is more to it, I propose that you are making a logical connection in your own mind that didn't convey with the words - another term to be satisfied that you are taking for granted.

Think about it and get back to us. ;)

#7 Aaron Burr

Aaron Burr

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:18 AM

WOW!! PLEASE DO SOME SERIOUS THINKING GUYS!! IF YOU LLOK AT THE QUESTION CAREFULLY YOU WILL REALISE THERE IS MORE TO IT THAN YOU SEE AT FIRST GLANCE!

Perhaps you are looking for the queston like:

Are you dead? If it's yes then he can't answer. But if it's no then he must answer no.

Writersblock your point is a good one. However, some of Martini's queston could be true. If you are standing on something you could be ten feet tall. The sky is green before bad storms.

Roses are red, violets are blue, grass is green, and dirt is brown

#8 bonanova

bonanova

bonanova

• PipPipPipPip
  • 5833 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 05:48 AM

I think Melchang wants us to think inside of a logical box.
That would lead to an answer like "Do you tell lies?"
Melchang, does that cover it?

Parable.

A Freshman physics student prized his freedom of approach when he solved problems. So when his final exam asked him to find the height of a building using only a barometer, his answer was to throw the barometer from the roof of the building and time the sound of its hitting the pavement. From the speed of sound and the acceleration due to gravity [ignoring air resistance] he could compute the building's height.

When the prof gave him a failing grade, he appealed. Upon being given a 2nd chance, he said he would tie the barometer to a long string and measure the period of the pendulum that made - again, from the building's roof - and compute the length of the pendulum. Anticipating another failing grade, he gave an additional answer: measuring the length of the barometer, the length of the shadow it cast on the ground and the length of the shadow cast on the ground by the building would give the answer using proportions. He got another failing grade.

He finally appealed to the Dean of the school. In a meeting among the three principals, the Dean gave the student one more shot at giving the "right" answer: measuring the barometric pressure on the sidewalk and on the roof and converting the difference in pressure to inches of air. A really stupid way to use a barometer and one that would require unimaginable precision. Nevertheless that was the answer the prof wanted.

The student would have none of it. He approached the Dean and gave his final solution:

"I would take the barometer to the basement of the building and knock on the superintendent's door. When he answered, I would say to him: 'Sir, I have this beautiful barometer, which I will give to you if you will tell me the height of this building.'"

The Dean gave the student an A.
The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution.
- Bertrand Russell

#9 tanric

tanric

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:38 PM

I think Melchang is looking for the answer of:
Are you asleep?

#10 Martini

Martini

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 03:48 PM

However, some of Martini's queston could be true. If you are standing on something you could be ten feet tall. The sky is green before bad storms.

It doesn't matter if they could be true. What matters is what is true at the time the question is asked. If the sky is not green when I'm asked the question (and it usually isn't), then I (an honest person [assuming we are defining "honest person" as one who always tells the truth to the best of his knowledge]) can't answer "yes". And I'm 5' 11" regardless of where I'm standing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users