Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Brick

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#11 quiet.one.sam

quiet.one.sam

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 July 2007 - 08:01 AM

i think that... since 1 brick=1kg... and half a brick is heavy (that's how i read it), that 1 brick would be too(2) heavy.

...but obviously that's wrong... ah well, was worth a try, hehe

#12 Rahul8204

Rahul8204

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:40 PM

Each brick weighs 1 Kg and half a brick.....now break this brick.....u will get 2 half bricks weighing 1 kg each....so each brick weighs 2 Kg's

#13 pocho

pocho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 02:43 AM

Well, if one brick is 1 kilogram and half a brick heavy, how heavy is half brick?

X= weight of the brick.

X= 1 Kg + 1/2X

X-1/2X= 1 Kg

1/2X= 1 Kg

X= 2 Kg.

Prove:

2Kg= 1 Kg + 1/2(2 Kg)

Isn't it clear?

#14 Drachma

Drachma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 04:30 AM

You cant take the 'and' as a logical operator without rearranging the question

lol
applying boolean logic here

One brick is one kilogram "AND" half a brick heavy

1brick = (1kilo) X (1/2 brick) [ 'X' for the boolean operator AND ]

because, "One brick is one kilogram "AND" half a brick heavy"
is NOT "1 brick = (1kilo) X (1/2 brick)"
and its NOT "1 brick = (1kilo) X 1 brick = (1/2 a brick)

it is actually (1 brick = 1 kg) X (1/2 brick) if you take 'and' as logical rather than arithmetic.

because '1/2 brick' is not a proposition, an attempt to take 'and' as a logical (rather than arithmetic) operator falls apart.

#15 SeRiOuS

SeRiOuS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:36 PM

Very Heavy.

Says, 1 Brick Is 1 KiloG
Looks like if the cat thinks 1/2 a brick is heavy
Then a WHOLE BRICK MUST BE CRIPPLING.

[Go Ahead-RAIL 'reallittleman'!]

#16 SeRiOuS

SeRiOuS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:38 PM

that's a good one. i approve.

i think that... since 1 brick=1kg... and half a brick is heavy (that's how i read it), that 1 brick would be too(2) heavy.

...but obviously that's wrong... ah well, was worth a try, hehe

#17 BoilingOil

BoilingOil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 04:58 PM

Brick - Back to the Logic Puzzles
An old riddle is as follows: One brick is one kilogram and half a brick heavy. What is the weight of one brick (previously: How heavy is one brick)?
(This is a typical elementary math brain teaser.)

If the above contains two statements, then it says that 1 brick is 1 kilogram, and that 1/2 brick is heavy.

If half a brick is heavy, a whole brick must be 2x heavy (regardless of it's actual weight).
2x Heavy could mathematically be written as 2heavy (pronounced TOO HEAVY)

On the other hand, if it is ONE statement, then it says that 1 brick equals 1kg + 1/2 a brick
That means, that 1 brick - 1/2 brick equals 1 kg, and therefor 1 brick must weigh twice 1 kg or a total of 2 kg.

Nive trick question

BoilingOil

#18 Musikid83

Musikid83

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:56 AM

You have all brought up valid arguments about how the question should be interpreted, and valid answers dependent on the interpretation, but I just want to bring up the point that this (and the other daily brain teasers) should (more than likely) be analyzed using the most basic logic possible... again, all of your answers (based on your interpretation of the question) are or could be accurate, but it occurs to me that these "brain teasers" are not meant to cause philosophical debates... so (as I do), these riddles should be examined using the most basic terms possible... right?

#19 tomb228

tomb228

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:06 PM

[quote="rookie1ja"]Brick - Back to the Logic Puzzles
An old riddle is as follows: One brick is one kilogram and half a brick heavy. What is the weight of one brick (previously: How heavy is one brick)?
(This is a typical elementary math brain teaser.)

Remember this is a riddle not an algebra problem so you need to interpret it as such. To clarify, exchange "one brick" for "a brick" then a normal brick would weigh 2/3 kg.

This brick weighs 1 kg but it's 1.5x the normal brick weight. 1 kg = 1.5*Normal_Brick
Normal_Brick = 2/3 kg

On the plus side, since a kilogram is a unit of mass not weight the answer is the same on the moon.

#20 petersara

petersara

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:25 AM

but if its one kilo and half of itself then it is 1kg coz if its halfing itself it would be halfing its original weight which is 1kg. right? im starting to confuse myself is anyone even adding anything to htese forums?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users