Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum

Welcome to BrainDen.com - Brain Teasers Forum. Like most online communities you must register to post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process. To be a part of BrainDen Forums you may create a new account or sign in if you already have an account.
As a member you could start new topics, reply to others, subscribe to topics/forums to get automatic updates, get your own profile and make new friends.

Of course, you can also enjoy our collection of amazing optical illusions and cool math games.

If you like our site, you may support us by simply clicking Google "+1" or Facebook "Like" buttons at the top.
If you have a website, we would appreciate a little link to BrainDen.

Thanks and enjoy the Den :-)
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Strange Coins

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 rookie1ja

rookie1ja

• Site Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1338 posts

Posted 30 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

Strange Coins - Back to the Cool Math Games
I have two US coins totaling 55 cents. One is not a nickel.
What are the coins?

This old topic is locked since it was answered many times. You can check solution in the Spoiler below.
Pls visit New Puzzles section to see always fresh brain teasers.

Spoiler for Solution

Spoiler for old wording

rookie1ja (site admin)
Optical Illusions
Support BrainDen

"To start: Press any key... Where's the 'any' key?" - Homer Simpson

#2 dawmail333

dawmail333

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:48 AM

This one's pretty old, but still a nice suprise to those who never have come across it before. :D Just had to check since I'm unsure of American currency.

#3 larryhl

larryhl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 08:49 PM

haha, trick questions. answer: half dollar and nickel.

#4 vennelaaaa

vennelaaaa

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 12:38 AM

There is no half dollar..
designations of the coins r cents, nickels (2 cents), dime (10 cents), quarter( 25 cents!)
u shud probably consider changing ur question to 30 cents instead of 5!

#5 lukegaru

lukegaru

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 08:16 PM

1 is a 50 cent piece and 1 is a nickel

#6 Odhinn

Odhinn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 09:03 PM

designations of the coins r cents, nickels (2 cents), dime (10 cents), quarter( 25 cents!)

As a citizen of the United States of America, raised by a father who collects coins, I hereby attest to the fact that a "Half Dollar" does in fact exist and is still commonly used in daily purchases. The question is correct. The Math is correct. The actual value of a nickel is 5 cents. (Just a little side note: The designations of U.S. coins are not only cents. There is the sacajawea dollar, morgan dollar, Kennedy Half-Dollar, Susan B. Anthony Dollar, and Eisenhower Dollar.) I don't intend to be rude but please consider doing some research before claiming the admin is incorrect. I have been reading random Brain Teasers today and haven't found him/her/it/them/etc to be incorrect. Thanks.

#7 seubs05

seubs05

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 05:33 PM

As a citizen of the United States of America, raised by a father who collects coins, I hereby attest to the fact that a "Half Dollar" does in fact exist and is still commonly used in daily purchases. The question is correct. The Math is correct. The actual value of a nickel is 5 cents. (Just a little side note: The designations of U.S. coins are not only cents. There is the sacajawea dollar, morgan dollar, Kennedy Half-Dollar, Susan B. Anthony Dollar, and Eisenhower Dollar.) I don't intend to be rude but please consider doing some research before claiming the admin is incorrect. I have been reading random Brain Teasers today and haven't found him/her/it/them/etc to be incorrect. Thanks.

AMEN Odhinn! What are you talking about vennelaaaa? By the way, there are also all those new dollar coins that are being issued with the various presidents on them.

#8 baybayisinthehizouse

baybayisinthehizouse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

THIS IS SO OLLDD!!!!
one of them is a half dollar and the other one is a nikel..
the one that u said was not a nikel is the half dollar and the other one is a nikel

#9 thutanyi

thutanyi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 July 2007 - 02:58 PM

50C and 5C,,,,
Cause one is nickle already and another one is not nickle

#10 papamike74

papamike74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 July 2007 - 04:04 AM

Let me start by saying that there is indeed a $.50 piece in the United States currency which started with the Ben Franklin half and went to the Kennedy half dollar. To you naysayers out there, go to wiki and discover for yourself.

The answer to this question is quite simple: one coin is indeed the $.50 piece and the other one is indeed a nickel. The $.50 piece being not a nickel, but a $.50 piece.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users